Illinois 18 Wheeler Accidents
On Illinois highways, one of the greatest dangers you’ll encounter are 18 wheelers. 18 wheelers can weigh 20 times more than your average passenger vehicle, so when the two collide, the results can be devastating.
If you or a loved one was injured by an 18 wheeler on the roads of Illinois, you need an Illinois truck collision lawyer to fight for you. Trucking companies are represented by teams of lawyers whose job is to pay you as little as possible. When trucking companies are negligent, Illinois attorney Jesse Guerra knows how to make them pay for their irresponsible actions.Liable Parties
Trucking accidents are more complex than normal car accidents, one reason being that different parties can be held liable depending on the circumstances of your case. Below are the parties that can be held liable in an 18 wheeler accident:
- Truck driver - In many accident cases, the truck driver can be found responsible for the accident if they were acting negligently. When truck drivers drive distracted, ignore traffic laws, drive under the influence, or drive fatigued, they can be liable for any damage they cause. To learn more, talk to an Illinois 18 wheeler accident attorney.
- Trucking company - Trucking companies can be held responsible for the action of their employees under the theory of “respondeat superior” or vicarious liability. If truckers are working within the scope of their employment at the time of the accident, the trucking company can be found to be at fault.
- Parts manufacturer - If an accident is caused by a fault party, the parts manufacturer can be held responsible. Talk to a lawyer if your accident was caused by a defective part.
- Cargo company - Trucks have to be properly loaded. When they aren’t, the imbalance or shifting cargo can cause a jackknife or the cargo to fall off the truck, which can lead to serious accidents. If you believe a negligent cargo company was at fault for your accident, go over your options with an attorney.
One of the most common cities that 18 wheeler accidents in Illinois occur is Chicago. The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) has found that Interstate 290 (also known as Ike or the Eisenhower Expressway) is the most dangerous highway in Illinois. There is an 8-mile section of the Eisenhower Expressway beginning at Cicero Avenue and ending at Manheim Road that accounts for 2,000 accidents every year, according to a representative of IDOT.
Knowing the dangers of this expanse of highway, you can do the following to reduce your risk of getting into an accident:
- Don’t drive during rush hour - If you can, don’t drive in the morning or evening rush hour.
- Stay attentive - Your best chance to avoid a wreck is to drive cautiously and constantly be aware of your surroundings.
- Take another route - Instead of driving on the dangerous portions of Interstate 290, take another road that runs parallel to it such as Roosevelt Road, Lake Street, or Washington Boulevard.
18 wheeler wrecks tend to be more severe than car wrecks, which means victims are liable to get a large amount of compensation for their injuries and damages. To get the types of compensation you’re rightfully owed, you need a skilled Illinois 18 wheeler accident attorney on your side. Below are some of the damages you may be able to earn:
- Medical bills
- Loss of past and future income
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
After an 18 wheeler accident, you want justice. An Illinois truck collision lawyer can get that for you. Illinois attorney Jesse Guerra has years of experience making truckers and trucking companies pay for their irresponsible actions. To learn more about Jesse Guerra and what he can do for you, lookhere. For a free consultation, call today at 1-800-555-0101.