School Bus Burns While Being Towed on the Northeast Side
According to a KSAT News report, a school bus caught fire while being towed on Loop 410.
Police reported the incident occurred at around 2:15 a.m. on September 21, on the 4100 block of Northeast Loop 410, near Interstate 35 and Binz Engleman Road on San Antonio’s East Side. A man was towing a bus he had won in an auction when he noticed it had caught fire and pulled over to the side of the road. SAFD was able to put out the flames, and no one was hurt, though the highway was temporarily shut down. Fire officials are not sure what caused the fire.
Did You Know?
108 people died in school bus crashes in the United States in 2021.
San Antonio School Bus Accidents
Busy parents across San Antonio rely on school buses to get their children safely to and from school every day. School bus accidents are relatively rare, especially in the San Antonio area, but they still happen. Top-rated school districts in San Antonio, including Northside ISD, Alamo Heights ISD, Boerne ISD, San Antonio ISD, and Schertz/Cibilo ISD, reported 27 accidents involving 174 students for the 2021-2022 school year.
This article will answer frequently asked questions about school bus accidents in San Antonio.
Can You Sue for a School Bus Accident in San Antonio?
Yes, you can. If your child was injured in a school bus accident, the following parties may be held accountable:
- The Bus Driver — If the bus driver caused the accident, they can be sued. This typically isn’t recommended since bus drivers don’t make a lot of money. But, if they are working at the time of the accident, their employer can be sued.
- The Bus Company — Employers of bus drivers are responsible for the actions their employees take and can be sued if their driver was negligent.
- A School District — Normally, a government entity cannot be sued. But, if they hire an employee who is negligent in the course of their duties and causes an accident, a school district can be held accountable.
- Another Driver or Their Employer — If another driver caused an accident, they can be sued for damages. If they were working at the time, their employer could also be sued in most circumstances.
- The Bus Manufacturing Company — If a defect in the bus caused the accident, the manufacturer or maintenance company may also be held accountable.
Suing for a school bus accident should be done with the help of an attorney. The law surrounding liability in these accidents can be complicated and requires professional help.
What Damages Can Be Claimed in Bus Accident Lawsuit?
Damages in a bus accident are the same as in an auto accident and include:
- Pain and Suffering
- Hospital Bills
- Emotional Distress
- Disfigurement or Disability
- Loss of Enjoyment
Lost wages cannot typically be claimed in these cases since children are often not employed. But, if a child is disabled or disfigured by the accident, loss of future earning capacity could be calculated into the damages.
Hire Carabin Shaw School Bus Injury Attorneys in San Antonio
When a child is injured, it is a devastating event to the parents. We understand that, and we’re here to help. Contact our child injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw today if your child was injured in a school bus accident in San Antonio at 800-862-1260. We put our clients first because we care. We look forward to serving you.
Contacting a Carabin Shaw attorney is free and does not obligate you to work with the firm.