How Do Carbon Monoxide Leaks Happen?
On July 28th, 2020, four family members near McAllen, Texas were killed when they were exposed to carbon monoxide from a generator running indoors. Although this was an unimaginable tragedy for the loved ones they left behind, these deaths are, sadly, not unusual; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that at least four hundred Americans die due to carbon monoxide poisoning every year. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also cause other long-term injuries such as seizures, heart attacks, damage to the brain and/or nervous system, and other neurological symptoms.
The Texas lawyers at Carabin Shaw have decades of experience as carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers serving McAllen. With their help, victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in McAllen can receive substantial financial settlements to compensate for their injuries. If you are unsure if your carbon monoxide poisoning claim qualifies, schedule a consultation with our McAllen personal injury attorneys to evaluate your options.Common Causes of Carbon Monoxide Leaks in McAllen, Texas
Texas families are rightfully concerned with keeping their homes protected from carbon monoxide leaks. It is important to ask, how do carbon monoxide leaks happen? Awareness is the first step towards protecting your home from the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is emitted from burning fossil fuels such as coal, gas, wood, or oil. These fossil fuels are essential sources of energy for many Texas families; this is why it is so important to learn how to safely power your home.
Some potential CO dangers to watch out for include:
Burning fossil fuels in enclosed spaces in your home
- This is the most common source of carbon monoxide poisonings with the highest rate of fatality. Make sure that you have installed functioning carbon monoxide detectors near all sleeping areas in your home. Do not use gas-powered appliances in small spaces (like your garage or shed).
Portable gas-powered appliances in mobile homes/boats/tents
- Your house or apartment is not the only enclosed place that is dangerous to burn fossil fuels in. When powering smaller enclosed spaces, it is even more important to be vigilant about proper ventilation.
Blocked chimneys and/or flues
- When burning wood or gas in your fireplace, it is important that your chimneys are open to release dangerous byproducts like carbon monoxide. Make sure to inspect your chimneys and flues regularly
Faulty heating systems
- It is important to have an HVAC technician regularly inspect your heater to prevent potential carbon monoxide leaks. If the heater is faulty due to manufacturer negligence, the manufacturer can be held financially liable for any injuries caused as a result of their negligence.
Faulty carbon monoxide detectors
- It is important to change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors at least twice a year to ensure your household is protected from potential carbon monoxide leaks.
- If you are a renter, it is your landlord’s responsibility to provide you with functioning carbon monoxide detectors in your rental unit. If they fail to do so, they could be held financially liable for the results of their negligence.
Whatever the cause of your carbon monoxide poisoning, you should know that you have options. Contact a carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer as soon as possible to begin filing your claim.Free Case Review | McAllen Personal Injury Attorneys at Carabin Shaw
If you are seeking a carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer serving McAllen, contact the Texas lawyers at Carabin Shaw to learn more about your options. Call our office toll-free today at 956-664-7255 to schedule your no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation and case review.
Carabin Shaw attorneys proudly represent families like yours, not big insurance companies. Since opening our San Antonio office nearly three decades ago, we have been invested in serving Texas communities. Call us today to hear how we can help you and your family seek the justice you deserve.