Jan. 3, 2021: NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas — One person is dead, and three others are hurt after a crash Tuesday night December 29th near South Business 35 and McQueeney Road in New Braunfels.
Emergency crews responded to the single-vehicle rollover crash at about 11:45 p.m. When they arrived, they found a Ford Explorer had lost control and rolled over, hurting four adults inside including the driver, who was ejected from the vehicle.
The driver, identified as 47-year-old Carlye James Donaldson of San Antonio, was being transferred to a nearby hospital when he died en route police said.
Two back seat passengers, a 36-year-old woman from Cibolo and a 41-year-old man from San Antonio, received minor injuries and were taken to local hospitals as a precaution, police said.
The front seat passenger, a 47-year-old woman from Lubbock, received serious, but non-life-threatening injuries. She was taken to Seton Hays Hospital, police said.
Through an investigation, police said the New Braunfels Police Traffic Unit determined that speed, alcohol and drugs may have been contributing factors in the crash.
DANGERS OF DRINKING AND DRIVING
Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 50 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion.
Thankfully, there are effective measures that can help
Keep Your Community Safe
You can help keep yourself, your loved ones, and your community safe from drinking and driving by:
- Choosing not to drink and drive.
- Getting a ride if you drink.
- Stopping friends from drinking and driving
According to the CDC:
- In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
- Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.
- Marijuana use is increasing and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.
If you, a family member or loved one has been injured or has suffered a wrongful death or personal injury due to driving accidents, auto accidents, 18-wheeler accidents or due to drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol, contact an attorney who specializes in these cases to review your legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for damages, medical treatments, and lost wages due to the incident.
Lawyers at Carabin Shaw help clients get the care and attention they deserve after a serious incident. Our experienced attorneys represent people and families who have suffered catastrophic injuries and tragic wrongful deaths throughout the state of Texas. If you or a loved one has been injured contact us today at (800) 862-1260.