Settlements for Burn Injuries in Arvada CO
Suffering from extensive burn injuries can alter your life significantly. Severe burns require long, difficult, and expensive healing processes, and may leave you with chronic pain and lessened mobility. If you have been the victim of second- or third-degree burns in Arvada CO, you might be thinking about legal action. A settlement can help you address both the costs of your recovery and the noneconomic impact of your injuries. However, the legal process can seem intimidating. Do your injuries really deserve a lawsuit? Can you even afford an attorney?
Fortunately, legal guidance is easier to find than you think. Carabin Shaw’s team of Arvada burn injury lawyers has decades of combined experience winning settlements for our clients. To learn more about our services, call 800-862-1260 to schedule a free case review.When Should I Sue for a Burn Injury?
The only way to obtain a settlement for your burn injuries is to pursue a personal injury claim. However, it is not always clear whether or not legal action is the correct answer. Some reasons to file a personal injury claim include:
- If your burn injuries are classified as second- or third- degree and have required medical intervention
- If your burns lead to expensive hospital stays, prescriptions, and/or physical or mental therapy
- If you have experienced chronic pain, reduced ease of movement, and/or physical disfigurement as a result of your burns
- If medical treatment for your burns has caused you to miss out on wages, or if complications have impacted your ability to continue working
- If your burns can be attributed to the negligence or malice of another party, such as a building owner, a reckless driver, or workplace management
- If you suffered from your burns less than two years ago, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in Arvada CO
If the details of your injuries sound similar to any of the above, or if you are still unsure about pursuing a personal injury claim, schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Arvada Colorado who specializes in severe burn litigation.What Kinds of Settlements Can I Receive?
In Colorado, a personal injury settlement will include damages covering one or more of three possible categories.
- Economic damages address and compensate for the financial consequences of an injury. This includes medical bills, but also future wages that you might miss out on if your injuries prevent you from carrying out your previous job duties.
- Noneconomic damages cover the ways that a serious injury impacts your quality of life. This includes chronic pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment in life due to a lack of mobility and increased dependence on others, and physical disfigurement due to excision or unsightly scarring, especially on your face.
- Exemplary damages are awarded as an additional punishment for the defendant if they were found to be acting particularly negligent or malicious. For example, a drunk driver who caused an accident that resulted in a vehicle fire may be ordered to pay exemplary damages as a warning to anyone else who might drive drunk.
Colorado does not allow the amount of exemplary damages to exceed the combined amount of economic and noneconomic damages.Carabin Shaw Law Firm | Free Case Review
If you have more questions about the legal process and potential damages, the Colorado attorneys at Carabin Shaw will be happy to address them in a free consultation. Our lawyers work on a contingency basis, and will only accept legal fees if your claim is successful. Call us at 800-862-1260 to learn more about what to expect when working with us.