10 Things You Should Know to Win Your 18 Wheeler Accident Case
If you were in a truck wreck in Van Horn, Texas, you know how overwhelming it is to process what happened to you and how you should move forward. The west Texas 18 wheeler accident attorneys of Carabin Shaw are here to help. Our lawyers have compiled a list of the 10 things you should know to win your 18 wheeler accident case.1. Why Are Trucks Dangerous?
Semi-trucks weigh up to 80,000 pounds. They are about 72 feet in length, 8.5 feet wide, and 13.5 feet tall. The average car in the United States weighs roughly 4,000 pounds. When these two types of vehicles collide, it’s clear who has the upper hand and who is in more danger. If you survived a truck accident in Van Horn, our lawyers are ready to support you.2. How Common Are Truck Accidents?
Commercial motor vehicle accidents are more common than you might think. Roughly 500,000 of these accidents occur in the United States every year. The percentage of these accidents is particularly high in west Texas, where the oil and gas boom is surging in the Permian Basin. Van Horn car accident attorneys want you to know that people in your area have been disproportionately affected by trucking accidents.3. What Causes Truck Accidents?
Collisions with 18 wheelers might happen because of:
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Reckless driving
- Insufficient training
- Defective mechanical parts
- Inadequate maintenance
- Overweight or poorly loaded cargo
Contact an attorney in Van Horn, Texas to learn more about how these causes might affect the outcome of your case.4. What Evidence Should You Collect After the Accident?
Though collecting evidence might be the last thing on your mind after a commercial motor vehicle wreck, keep track of events as best as possible. Take photographs of the scene, gather witness information, and keep track of your medical records.5. Who Is Legally Responsible for Truck Accidents?
If the 18 wheeler caused the crash, the potential at-fault parties are:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The truck or parts manufacturer
- The cargo company
The west Texas 18 wheeler accident attorneys of Carabin Shaw are well-versed in handling each of these claims.6. How Can a Lawyer Prove Negligence?
If negligence factored into your truck accident in Van Horn, your attorney must prove:
- Duty of care: The truck driver had a responsibility to uphold the laws of the road.
- Breach of duty: The 18 wheeler operator breached this duty by not following these rules.
- Causation: The trucker’s breach of duty caused the complainant’s injuries.
- Damages: The victim’s injuries require financial compensation to address.
At Carabin Shaw, we are skilled in handling personal injury cases that follow this model.7. How Do Experts Calculate Damages?
The two major types of damages are:
- Compensatory damages: To calculate compensatory damages, Van Horn accident attorneys look at medical bills and property damage to quantify a fair settlement value. They may also take unquantifiable factors into account, such as pain and suffering and loss of opportunity.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, the defendant’s behavior is so disgraceful that the court orders them to pay more money as punishment for the heinous act.
The answer to this question is contingent upon how much the accident affected you. Wrecks that result in death or life-altering injury might result in a settlement of over one million dollars. Less substantial injuries could still result in settlements in six-figure settlements.9. How Can a Lawyer Help Me?
A legal representative can help you gather information, interpret data, speak with insurance companies, calculate a settlement value, and connect you with other resources.10. How Do I Find the Best Van Horn Car Accident Attorneys?
Call Carabin Shaw. We have decades of experience handling cases like yours. If you have any questions about the 10 things you should know to win your 18 wheeler accident case, we are here for you. Dial 915-779-2301 for a free consultation.