5 of the Most Common Causes of Wrongful Death Lawsuits | Las Cruces Attorneys
“Wrongful death” is a death caused by someone’s negligence or harmful intention. The deceased’s spouse, parent, or child can file this type of case, which makes it possible to hold the party responsible for your loved one’s death accountable. If your loved one has passed due to negligence or malintent, then consider working with an attorney serving the Las Cruces metro-area. At the offices of Carabin Shaw, we offer a free consultation to our potential clients to demonstrate our commitment to helping you the best we can.What is Wrongful Death?
Death caused by negligence or malintent opens up the potential for a wrongful death lawsuit. Las Cruces wrongful death attorneys cite the following as the 5 of the most common causes of wrongful death lawsuits:
- Car Accidents: Due to the high volume of drivers, car accidents are the most common cause of wrongful death.
- Medical Malpractice: Some examples of malpractice include misdiagnosis, failure to perform treatment, and prescribing incorrect medications.
- Defective Product: Defective medications, food, toys, etc. can all lead to injury or death.
- Accidents at Work: The most common workplace accidents are slips, trips, falls, and falling objects.
- Pedestrian Accidents: This type of accident typically occurs at dawn and dusk, when it is difficult to see pedestrians.
Las Cruces wrongful death cases might involve any of these causes. If your loved one passed because of someone else’s actions, then consider speaking with a lawyer today.Damages Involved
When you sue someone for wrongful death, you are suing them for damages, or financial compensation. An attorney may help you determine the costs you can collect. The following often factor into wrongful death settlements:
- Burial expenses
- Medical expenses related to the deceased’s injuries or illness
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of financial contributions, including inheritance
- Pain and suffering experienced by the deceased before death
To help your legal counsel, retain any medical bills, records of funerary expenses, and loss of household income. A New Mexico wrongful death lawyer may aid you in the collection of these documents, which will help determine the number of damages the defendant owes you. The damages you will sue for vary from case to case. If you are interested in filing a Las Cruces wrongful death case, consider the following.Filing a Wrongful Death Case
Before registering a lawsuit with a wrongful death attorney serving Las Cruces, here is some general information you need to know before filing a suit:
- Typically, a personal representative of the deceased must file the lawsuit. The deceased’s will usually assigns this role. The court may also appoint a personal representative.
- The statute of limitations is the time limit from when you can file a lawsuit. In New Mexico wrongful death cases, the spouse, parents, or children have three years from the time of death to file a lawsuit.
- Be sure to hire a lawyer who holds professional experience dealing with wrongful death cases. Consider hiring a lawyer who serves your metropolitan area.
Las Cruces wrongful death attorneys are waiting to take on your case and bring justice to your family.What You Should Do Next
If you have decided to pursue a wrongful death case, the next step is to obtain an attorney. Consider approaching the legal team at the offices of Carabin Shaw. With years of experience on all types of personal injury and wrongful death cases, we can ensure that you will receive unparalleled professional and dedicated support.
Filing a Las Cruces wrongful death lawsuit may seem initially daunting, but that is why we offer a free consultation. Contact our El Paso office, which serves the Las Cruces metro-area, today at 915-779-2301 or toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.