After a Commercial Vehicle in Texas | McAllen Accident Lawyers
South Texas has some of the most dangerous roads in the country. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there were over 2,000 crashes in McAllen, Texas in 2018, and many of these accidents involve commercial vehicles, such as 18 wheelers. It is no secret that 18 wheeler accidents can result in life-altering injuries. If you or a loved one has been injured in a 18 wheeler accident, it is important to know what steps you should take next. Our 18 wheeler accident attorneys in McAllen at Carabin Shaw are here to help you with your truck accident case.What To Do After a Commercial Vehicle Accident
It is important to know what is considered a commercial vehicle. They can include:
- Delivery trucks, such as those used for Amazon
- Garbage trucks
- School busses
- Dump trucks
The injuries from an accident with a vehicle listed above can be devastating. They can include burns, broken bones, lacerations, and even fatalities. With this in mind, there are a few important steps you should take after a commercial vehicle accident in Texas:
- Report the accident immediately. It is also important to obtain a copy of the police report.
- Exchange information with the driver. Get their contact information and insurance. It is important that you do not admit fault or apologize. In a commercial vehicle case, their team of lawyers will hold anything they can against you.
- Take photos and videos of the scene. Make sure to capture the accident site, road conditions, traffic signs, and license plates.
- Get witness information. If anyone witnessed the accident, make sure to get their contact information. It may be useful if your case goes to trial.
- Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries are not serious, some injuries appear days or weeks after an accident. Our McAllen accident lawyers want you to prioritize your health. Be sure to keep your medical records for your accident case.
- Get in contact with one of our commercial vehicle accident attorneys in McAllen. Our attorneys will help you talk to your insurer and figure out who is liable for your injuries.
Unlike a typical two-car accident, an accident with a commercial vehicle can be complicated. But if you can prove that your injuries were due to someone else’s actions, you may be able to get compensation for your accident.
Potential liable parties include:
- Truck driver - If the truck driver was negligent, they can be held accountable for your injuries. Negligent behavior can include: drunk driving, speeding, driving while fatigued or distracted, and much more.
- The trucking company - If the trucking company improperly trained their drivers or had negligent hiring practices, they may owe you compensation for your injuries.
- Overloaded trucks - Sometimes truck companies will overload or improperly load their trucks. The cargo company would be the liable party in this situation.
- The manufacturers - If a truck accident happened due to a faulty part, the manufacturer might be at fault.
Timing is everything when it comes to commercial vehicle accidents, and it is important to remember that the statute of limitations in Texas is two years from the date of the accident. Talk to your commercial vehicle accident attorneys in McAllen about the details of your case. Our lawyers will work with you to ensure you will get compensation in a timely manner.
Call Carabin Shaw to Get in Contact With a 18 wheeler accident attorneys in McAllen
After a commercial vehicle accident in Texas, you may have several questions about the legal process for commercial vehicle accident cases. Our attorneys can help you navigate this often confusing process. Visit us at our offices in McAllen, Texas or call us at 956-664-7255 to talk to one of our McAllen accident lawyers. Se habla Español.