Albuquerque Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in a Home, Mobile Home, or Apartment
Homeowners and renters alike should be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, which kills hundreds of Americans each year and sends 20,000 people to the emergency room annually. And because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, it can be impossible to detect a leak until it is too late. If you’ve been hurt by carbon monoxide poisoning in Albuquerque and you suspect that another party’s negligence may have played a role, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim.
But who can be held liable for carbon monoxide poisoning, and how should you choose the right carbon monoxide injury lawyer in Albuquerque? If you’re looking for answers, our experts are here to help. Read on to learn more and to find out how to consult with our Albuquerque personal injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw for free.How Carbon Monoxide is Produced
Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion. Unlike complete combustion, in which oxygen reacts with a fuel source to produce carbon dioxide and water, incomplete combustion is a reaction between oxygen and fuel that produces carbon monoxide, water, and carbon. Incomplete combustion occurs when the combustion reaction occurs without a sufficient oxygen supply and is characterized by an orange (rather than blue) flame.
In addition to insufficient oxygen supply, incomplete combustion can be caused by:
- An insufficient mixing of air and fuel
- Insufficient time for the fuel to burn
- A cooling of the flame temperature before combustion is complete
Because any fuel burning appliance can result in incomplete combustion under the right conditions, carbon monoxide can be emitted by defective, malfunctioning, or inefficient household appliances.
Appliances that can cause carbon monoxide leaks include:
- Gas or wood burning stoves
- Clothing dryers
- Water heaters
- Furnaces or broilers
- Fireplaces (both gas and wood burning)
- Power tools and lawn equipment
Because so many appliances are potential sources of carbon monoxide, it is crucial to install a working carbon monoxide detector in all residential homes, apartments, or mobile homes. Failure to do so may constitute negligence on behalf of the landlord or property owner.
Similarly, property owners who fail to maintain, upkeep, or inspect residential fuel-burning appliances may be held legally responsible if this failure results in another person’s exposure to carbon monoxide gases. If you suspect that you’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide and that damaged appliances were to blame, the next step is to consult a qualified lawyer in New Mexico and discuss your accident in more detail.Need a Lawyer? Call Carabin Shaw for a Free Case Review
If you have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning due to another person’s negligence—or if you are unsure whether negligence caused your exposure—you may have grounds to file a personal injury claim and should take action as soon as possible. To do so, you’ll first need to consult with a qualified Albuquerque personal injury attorney who can help you determine who is responsible for the accident and what your claim may be worth.
When choosing a lawyer, you should look for someone who specializes in handling CO accident cases and who has a winning track record with personal injury cases. At Carabin Shaw, our attorneys meet all these criteria and more—and we’re ready to take your call today. To schedule your free consultation and case review with a knowledgeable, compassionate carbon monoxide injury lawyer in Albuquerque, call our Carabin Shaw office serving Albuquerque at 1-800-862-1260.