Carbon Monoxide Exposure in a Hotel or Vacation Rental
Although they may not realize it, residents in Lake Charles encounter carbon monoxide every day. Gas-powered stoves, car engines, and heaters are just a few of the many modern conveniences we use daily that produce carbon monoxide as a byproduct.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is poisonous in high concentrations. When products are used properly and work as they should, the amount of carbon monoxide we’re exposed to is inconsequential. However, when negligence causes carbon monoxide to reach dangerous levels, it can cause serious injury, even death.
If you or a loved one has suffered due to carbon monoxide exposure in a hotel or vacation rental, you should consult a carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer serving Lake Charles. Attorney of counsel of Carabin Shaw, Berit Hanna, has years of experience helping victims of carbon monoxide poisoning get justice after injustice was done to them.Sources of Carbon Monoxide in Airbnbs and Hotels
When you’re travelling, the last thing on your mind is probably carbon monoxide. However, carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious issue that causes the death of 430 Americans every year. At a hotel or Airbnb, there are a number of ways you can be exposed to carbon monoxide, so it’s important to be aware of them and know how to avoid dangerous exposure.
Below is a list of carbon monoxide sources you may find in your Airbnb or hotel:
- Water heater
- Charcoal grill
- Clothes dryer
- Gas stove and oven
- Boilers or furnaces
- Tobacco smoke
Speak with a Lake Charles personal injury attorney about the source of your carbon monoxide exposure.Carbon Monoxide Regulations in Hotels
If you stay at a hotel in Lake Charles, it’s fair to assume that you’ll be reasonably safe. Hotels, like all types of property, have a legal obligation to maintain a certain standard of safety to their guests under premises liability laws.
When it comes to carbon monoxide detectors, hotels in most states are not actually obligated by law to have carbon monoxide detectors. There are no federal statutes requiring the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in hotels, and only 14 states have their own laws that require hotels to have working carbon monoxide detectors, Louisiana being one of them.
In Louisiana, hotels must have carbon monoxide detectors installed if there is a carbon monoxide source within the structure that poses a threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.If you have questions about Louisiana law and carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels, ask an attorney. Airbnbs and Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Lake Charles
Airbnb has more than 7 million properties around the world. For guests, safety is a priority, and Airbnb encourages property owners to install carbon monoxide detectors. CO detectors are only required at higher-end Airbnb Plus rentals in states that have laws requiring carbon monoxide detectors. If a property owner wants to install a carbon monoxide detector, Airbnb will provide them for free.Reducing Your Risk of Exposure While Staying at a Hotel or Vacation Rental
When planning for your trip, there are a few ways to ensure your safety concerning carbon monoxide poisoning. Before booking a hotel or Airbnb, ask them about their CO policy and whether a carbon monoxide detector will be installed in your room. For extra safety, you can travel with your own portable CO detector. To learn more, talk to a carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer serving Lake Charles.The Lawyer Who Will Fight for Justice After a Carbon Monoxide Accident at a Hotel or Airbnb in Lake Charles
When you suffer carbon monoxide poisoning in a hotel or Airbnb, you need a Lake Charles personal injury attorney on your side. Attorney of counsel Berit Hanna at Carabin Shaw can review your carbon monoxide case and help you and your family fight for the compensation you deserve.Free Case Review
For a free consultation, call us today at 800-862-1260.