Carbon Monoxide Exposure in a Rented Harlingen Home or Apartment
When you live in a rented home or apartment in Harlingen, Texas, it’s reasonable to assume that your landlord will provide you with a safe living environment. Although they should under state and federal laws, sometimes landlord negligence can cause serious injuries, even death. One dangerous form of landlord negligence concerns carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide, also known as “the silent killer”, is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can cause serious injury or death when people are exposed to high concentrations of it. Every year, 24,000 people are hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you or a loved one has suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, you should speak with a Harlingen carbon monoxide poisoning attorney. Our Harlingen attorneys at Carabin Shaw have years of experience helping victims of carbon monoxide exposure in a rented Harlingen home or apartment. We can review your case and advise you on your best course of action.Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Although we’re mostly unaware of it, we’re surrounded by carbon monoxide every day. Car engines, clothes dryers, and gas-powered stoves are a few of the modern conveniences we use daily that produce carbon monoxide as a byproduct. In small amounts, carbon monoxide exposure causes no harm. However, when carbon monoxide reaches high levels (measured in parts per million), it can cause serious injuries, even death.
Below are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of consciousness
Talk to a personal injury lawyer in Harlingen about the symptoms and injuries you experienced in your carbon monoxide poisoning accident.Premises Liability Laws
Cases of carbon monoxide exposure in a rented home or apartment in Harlingen, Texas are personal injury cases that fall under the larger branch of laws known as premises liability laws.
In premises liability cases, you and your lawyer must prove the following to make your case:
- Responsibility - The landlord of a rental property has a legal obligation to create and maintain a safe living environment.
- Negligence - If a property owner knows, or should have known, about a hazardous or defective condition on their property, and they did not fix the problem within a reasonable amount of time, they can be found negligent.
- Damages - A landlord that has committed negligence can be found liable for any damages that occurred because of their negligence.
Let a Harlingen carbon monoxide poisoning attorney review the unique circumstances of your accident and help you build a compelling case to fight for the damages you’re rightfully owed.When Landlords Are Liable for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accidents in Harlingen, Texas?
A landlord has to provide a safe living environment for all of their tenants. When they don’t, they can be found negligent. When it comes to carbon monoxide, there are a number of ways that landlords can be found negligent after a carbon monoxide poisoning accident that happens on their property:
Violating health and safety codes
Usually, cities and states set a minimum requirement of health and safety standards for rented properties. If a landlord fails to live up to these safety codes, they can be found liable.
Violating carbon monoxide laws
In Texas, landlords are required to install a carbon monoxide detector within 10 feet of every bedroom that people sleep in in a family home.
To keep the products that release carbon monoxide safe, they require routine maintenance. Landlords that do not provide the proper maintenance can be found negligent in a court of law.
Talk to an attorney about your landlord's negligence.Fighting for What’s Right After Suffering From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
If you or a loved one has suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning due to landlord negligence, you need a personal injury lawyer in Harlingen on your side. Our team of Harlingen attorneys at Carabin Shaw can fight to get you justice.Free Case Review
For a free consultation, call today at 800-862-1260.