Do I Need an Attorney After a Severe Burn at a Brownsville Workplace?
According to the American Burn Association, 8% of all burn victims were injured at their place of work. While this may seem an insignificant fraction, consider that approximately 1.1 million burn injuries require medical attention every year. Consider, too, that Brownsville is home to a number of industries that significantly increase workers’ chances of burn injury—oilfield workers, truck drivers, and construction workers are among the most commonly injured workers in workplace burn accidents.
If you’ve suffered a severe burn injury at your Brownsville workplace, you deserve financial compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional losses. Consult with a qualified Brownsville personal injury attorney to learn more about what you can claim in your burn injury lawsuit.Am I Eligible to File Against My Employer?
Texas law states that workers are eligible to claim workman’s compensation for any injury “sustained in the course and scope of employment, i.e., while furthering or carrying on the employer's business.” If you are burned during the course of your employment, your employer may offer you workman’s compensation. If you accept workman’s compensation from your employer, you are no longer eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit against them.
However, Texas, unlike other states, does not legally require employers to subscribe to workman’s compensation insurance. If your employer is a non-subscriber, filing a work injury lawsuit may be your best option to receive fair compensation for your injuries if your employer can be found liable for your burn injury.
Additionally, not all workplace injuries are the responsibility of an employer; workers can be injured by the negligence of managers, contractors, vendors, coworkers, or other third parties. If this describes your workplace burn injury, a personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation from the liable parties.A Brownsville Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Seek Compensation
Do I need an attorney after a severe burn at a Brownsville workplace? Many burn victims are unsure whether hiring a burn injury lawyer in Brownsville is the right choice for them.
However, there are many reasons why burn victims should hire a personal injury attorney, including:
- Experienced attorneys have requisite knowledge of the intricacies of personal injury law to best represent your burn injury claim (especially if you are suing your employer for damages).
- Law firms have the resources to hire experts to investigate the details of your burn injury (for example, determining the origin of the fire/explosion). This may become important in establishing cause and liability in your burn injury claim.
- Many attorneys operate under contingent-fee contracts. Instead of paying large sums up front, under a contingent-fee contract the legal fees you pay are contingent upon whether your attorney is able to win your settlement. Even families who are struggling financially should be able to seek the justice they deserve.
- Burn victims represented by experienced personal injury lawyers statistically receive much higher settlements than defendants who choose to represent themselves. With the help of a qualified attorney, you may receive full compensation for your losses.
- When you hire a burn injury lawyer in Brownsville, you can focus on healing from your injuries; they will handle the rest.
If you or a loved one have suffered a workplace burn injury, the attorneys at Carabin Shaw can help. For nearly thirty years, we have helped accident victims like you receive the compensation they deserve.
Our “client-first” philosophy and team of experienced burn injury lawyers have earned us the reputation as the premier firm representing Brownsville workplace burn victims. We commit to representing the best interests of Texas families, not big insurance companies.Free Case Review
If you would like to schedule your no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation with the Texas burn injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw, call our office toll-free today at 800-862-1260 or fill out our online form.