Drug Watch List
Over the last ten years hundreds, if not thousands of respected scientists and doctors have agreed that a good number of popular drugs are the cause or are linked to SJS. Unfortunately many of the dangerous drugs were not connected with SJS until recently. Some of the most common drugs linked to SJS include:
- Celebrex: Like Bextra, Celebrex was a COX-2 Inhibitor designed to treat arthritis as well as painful menstrual periods. It contains sulfonamide, which can trigger SJS in people with such allergies. Even though this drug remains on the market it still poses the same threat of potential SJS reactions.
- Vioxx: Many doctors consider Vioxx to be the most dangerous COX-2 Inhibitor. It has recently been the subject of legal action due to its propensity to cause severe cardiovascular problems, as well as SJS.
- Daypro: A popular pain reliever, after one year Daypro had a higher rate of SJS than any other prescription Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drug on the market. It has allegedly been responsible for four deaths due to serious skin problems. Although studies have shown it is no more effective than aspirin, it remains a popular treatment because patients need to take it only once a day.
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Children's Motrin, Advil): Even common over-the-counter pain relievers have been known to trigger allergic skin reactions that can lead to SJS. In fact, a 13 year old girl died after only a few doses of Children's Advil, which at the time had no warning labels to advise people of the potential dangers.
- Antibiotics: Many antibiotics contain significant amounts of sulfa, which is well known to cause severe allergic reactions in some people. Bactrim and Septra are two antibiotics linked to SJS in some people.
- Bextra: G.D. Searle marketed this popular COX-2 Inhibitor was a popular treatment for arthritis before it was taken off the market in 2005 due to increased dangers of cardiovascular problems as well as Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
If you or someone you love was injured by a drug that claimed to be safe, you may have the right to compensation for your pain and suffering. You must not hesitate, for statute of limitation laws cap the amount of time you have to take legal action. Let our experienced and professional lawyers help you - call our Law Firm today.