Examples of Medical Malpractice in Victoria
Medical malpractice occurs when any healthcare professional, including nurses, surgeons, pharmacists, doctors and medical technicians, cause injury or death to a patient due to an act of omission or negligence. It also happens to be one of the top 3 causes of death in the United States, right next to cancer and heart disease. Most forms of medical malpractice are the result of mistreatment, misdiagnosis, faulty health management, and aftercare. This negligence can lead to cerebral palsy, avoidable birth defects, post-surgical infections and wrongful amputation. If you or a loved one lives in Victoria and has suffered from medical malpractice, the attorneys at Carabin & Shaw can help you make a claim against the responsible party. Let our Victoria medical malpractice attorney help you receive the compensation you deserve today.Examples of Medical Malpractice in Victoria
Examples of medical malpractice in Victoria that can lead to a lawsuit include:
- Early discharge from the hospital or medical facility
- Lack of proper testing
- Little to no aftercare
- Improper medication and dosage
- Ignoring test results
- Misdiagnosis of symptoms
- Failure to recognize symptoms
- Needless surgery
- Errors occurring during surgery
If you experience any of these examples of medical malpractice in Victoria, contact one of our attorneys today. Although there has been a drop in medical malpractice claims over the past 10 years, knowing when these negligent practices happen to you is important. Here is a list of signs to refer to in order to figure out if you have been a victim of medical malpractice in Victoria.
- Negative results in treatment: This occurs when a physician or other health professional gives a misdiagnosis of your symptoms. This means your real diagnosis is going untreated, and potentially worsening. You may also be developing other additional ailments caused by new medication.
- Treatment and health condition does not add up: If you feel like your doctor may be giving you unnecessary treatment in order to rack up the bill, you may be experiencing medical malpractice. The more serious procedures should be used as a last resort, especially when less drastic treatments are available.
- Lack of information from your doctor: If your doctor does not give you the information and attention you need, there is an issue. It is their job to provide you with as much information as possible about your condition and the procedural steps involving your treatment. This is especially true if your doctor fails to provide you with information at your request.
- Second and third opinions: Seeking opinions from other doctors or health professionals is highly recommended when dealing with a serious diagnosis. If you find that your first doctor's opinion differs from the second or third doctor you visit, this may be a sign of negligence.
- Diagnosis of a serious condition with limited tests: There may be something wrong if your doctor diagnosed you with a serious condition after only completing simple tests.
- An understaffed healthcare facility: If the medical facility you are visiting seems to be understaffed, this is a red flag. You will want to report this in order to prevent malpractice on others who receive help from this same facility.
If you notice any of these signs, you could potentially be dealing with medical malpractice and should immediately contact an attorney at Carabin & Shaw of Victoria.Attorneys at Carabin & Shaw of Victoria
Although medical malpractice lawsuits have been decreasing over the past 10 years, it is smart to take precautions. Knowing what the signs and types of medical malpractice are can help prevent you from experiencing this sort of negligent behavior. If you or a loved one suffers from serious injury or death due to medical malpractice, contact an attorney who can help you make a claim against the negligent party. If you would like to learn more about Victoria medical malpractice, call the law offices of Carabin & Shaw in Victoria at 361.485.1400 or toll-free at 1.800.682.1260.