Fast Facts About 18 Wheeler and Other Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Every year, hundreds of thousands of drivers on the road are involved in accidents with 18 wheelers and other commercial vehicles, many of which result in serious injury or death. And in fact, more of these accidents occur in Texas than in any other state. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an accident like this, an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in McAllen could help you and your family.
Our staff at Carabin Shaw in McAllen, Texas cares about helping victims in times of crisis. We never represent big trucking companies. We only represent people who need justice after commercial vehicle accidents in McAllen.A Staggering Amount of Wrecks
In the past few years, deaths and injuries have been on the rise for passenger vehicles involved in 18 wheeler and other commercial vehicle accidents.
- In 2017, over 450,000 18 wheeler accidents occurred, and nearly 5,000 of them were fatal. 116,000 of these accidents led to serious injury.
- Between 2009 and 2015, there was a 62% increase in commercial vehicle accidents that caused injury.
- Large trucks account for 11% of all fatal crashes, but they only make up 8% of highway traffic.
- According to accident statistics, 82% of those killed in accidents with commercial vehicles were in passenger vehicles or other non-commercial vehicles, while only 18% of those killed were the commercial vehicle drivers themselves.
If you have more questions about these statistics, a lawyer can answer them.Causes of Accidents
There are a number of reasons that can cause an 18 wheeler accident to occur in McAllen, but more often than not it relates to the truck driver’s behavior. Things like recklessness, fatigue, drug abuse, impairment, and more can be at the root of commercial vehicle accidents in McAllen.
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 30% of all commercial vehicle accidents were caused by commercial vehicle driver behavior. The most common causes were distraction speeding, fatigue, illness, and driving while intoxicated.
- 5 percent of fatal CMV accidents were caused by vehicle malfunction, tire failure being the most common reason. If tire malfunction caused your accident, consult an attorney.
- Over 250 drivers involved in fatal accidents tested positive for at least one drug in 2017.
Talk to 18 wheeler accident lawyers in McAllen about the cause of your accident.The Time and Place of Accidents
Many factors affect the risk drivers face while driving, including the time, day, and type of road they are driving on in McAllen.
- Over half of 18 wheeler and other commercial vehicle accidents occur between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- More commercial motor vehicle accidents occur on weekdays than on weekends. Of all weekdays, Thursdays are most dangerous, accounting for 18% of fatalities.
- Almost one-third of commercial motor vehicle-related deaths occur on freeways and interstates.
For more information, be sure to consult an attorney to review your case.Texas Crash Statistics
Of all states, Texas has the most commercial vehicle accidents.
- In 2018, according to TxDot statistics, Texas had over 37,000 accidents involving commercial vehicles, leading to more than 6,000 injuries for crash victims.
- Nearly 650 fatal accidents involving large commercial vehicles occurred in Texas in 2017, making Texas the deadliest state for commercial vehicle accidents in the nation.
18 wheeler accidents for any family in McAllen can be devastating. Talking to 18 wheeler accident lawyers in McAllen can help ease the burden, though, and our staff at Carabin Shaw is dedicated to getting you justice. We know what it takes to fight big trucking companies and their huge legal teams, and make sure they pay you what you are owed. To get what you truly deserve, it always helps to have an experienced lawyer on your side. We offer free consultations, so call (956) 664-7255 today to speak with an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in McAllen at our firm - you have nothing to lose.