First 5 Steps for Every Victoria Hurricane Harvey Victim
Hurricane Harvey is one of the most destructive storms to hit the Gulf Coast since 1961, and the storm is costing Texans an estimated $180 billion in damages. Cities like Victoria, Texas, experienced the full wrath of this storm, and they have the damages to prove it. Homes, businesses, and communities that were destroyed in a matter of days have caused the residents of Victoria much pain and heartache. If you are among those who have suffered from Hurricane Harvey in Victoria, let Carabin & Shaw provide you with a Victoria Hurricane Insurance Claims Lawyer. Our lawyers are here to help guide you through this difficult time in your life with our guide to the “First 5 Steps for Every Victoria Hurricane Harvey Victim”.First 5 Steps for Every Victoria Hurricane Harvey Victim
The aftermath of a storm of this magnitude may leave people distraught and confused, and left uneducated about the necessary steps to take in order to rebuild what they have lost. The following steps may help the people living in Victoria who have suffered from Hurricane Harvey find some direction.
- Check That It Is Safe to Return Home. First, you must make sure it's safe to return to your residence. Do not return back home until you have heard from officials that it is safe to return to the area you live in. There is a possibility that roads will be undriveable due to flooding and fallen debris. Returning home in these conditions would be extremely dangerous to you and your family. Rescue teams might also still be making their rounds, so your return home can interfere with their searches. Due to this unknowable (and expensive) variable, keep a document of the expenses you have made while being evacuated, including food, gas, and stay. You may be able to receive compensation for your time away from home.
- Take Pictures. Upon your return home, you will want to take pictures of the damages to your property as soon as possible. This can help you when making a claim with your insurance company. It will also help you to make a logbook of your damaged property. It may seem like a long and unnecessary process, but it can be a deciding factor in determining compensation for your case.
- Repair Only When Necessary. Only repair damages if it will prevent further damage. You want to try and refrain from fixing things right away so that your insurance adjuster may see firsthand the damage inflicted on your property. Things that you should maybe consider repairing right away would be things like broken windows and roofing. You may take a tarp and other plastic covering to place it over these affected areas to prevent further water damage. Of course, only do this after you’ve taken pictures and recorded it in your logbook.
- Check Your Insurance Policy. Check to see what exactly kind of coverage is in your insurance policy. If you are unable to find or access your policy, there are online resources that can steer you in the right direction. Contact your agent when you find your information and record the call. Let your insurer know about the damages your property has sustained and move quickly to file a claim. Follow this up with a written claim for documentation purposes. An adjuster should proceed to come to your house and begin the process of estimating your claim.
- Call An Attorney. If you sense that your insurance company is underestimating your claim or unnecessarily prolonging the process, it is advised you immediately call an attorney. The insurance companies are a for-profit business and will very likely strive to give their clients the least amount of compensation possible. If you have properly documented all your expenses and damages, but your insurance company is stalling your Victoria hurricane claims, call an attorney immediately.
We at Carabin & Shaw, hope these first five steps for every Victoria Hurricane Harvey victim will help give you some clarity in this difficult time. Our lawyers strive to give you the information you need in order to rebuild your life. Please feel free to call into Carabin & Shaw’s Victoria location at 361.485.1400 or our toll-free line at 1.800.682.1260 to receive a free consultation.