Goliad, Texas How To File For Hurricane Harvey Damages
Whether or not many believe that Goliad was hit as hard as other areas by Hurricane Harvey, even with minor damage, a claim should still be filed. If your home, car or business incurred damages from the recent storm, you may want to consider that you could be entitled to money to help you recover from damage done.
The attorneys at Carabin & Shaw have dealt with many claims in these types of circumstances. If you want to learn how to file for Hurricane Harvey damage in Goliad, read through these helpful general tips:
- Stay Safe. Trained rescue crews and volunteers tirelessly work during disastrous storm to save lives and continue afterwards to help with relief efforts. During a storm, residents should heed local storm safety warnings. After the storm passes, residents should still have the same level of concern for their well-being and take precautions as they move about. Continue to stay tuned in for safety measures issued for Goliad.
- Document Everything. Make a record of everything that was damaged or lost. Take pictures or video of everything, including possessions, landscaping, structures, and room interiors. Keep track of your spending and save your receipts for repairs made and your living expenses, as well. Also, keep track of who you speak with and include the date and time, if possible. All of these items carry the possibility of compensation. Our experienced attorneys understand these times are already overwhelming, but it would be in your best interest to stay organized. In this way, you will be able to provide the necessary information on request to the right people.
- Check Your Insurance Policy. Contact your insurance company and speak with an agent. Ask about the proper procedures for how to file for Hurricane Harvey damage in Goliad, and go over what your policy actually covers. You may also want to confirm what type of documentation qualifies as proofs of damages. Our attorneys would also suggest that you initiate contact with the insurance company yourself – do not assume any agents or companies contacting you are who they say they are. Always verify the credentials of an employee of a company before you make your claim. This goes for charity and relief organizations, as well. You want to know that who you are sharing information with organizations who are, in fact, who they are claim to be.
- Be Alert. The Better Business Bureau often issues warnings to residents of cities having just endured massive storm destruction to watch out for scams. Our attorneys are also familiar with these situations and can help you separate fact from fiction. Rumors can spread quickly when people are in desperate circumstances and need answers. Remember to never give out your personal information to just anybody. Be smart. Be safe.
- Research Your Own Contractors. Insurance companies will refer clients to contractors from their own list for repair work. This is generally in their best interest, rather than the client’s. You may want to do a little research of your own to find quality contractors from Goliad or surrounding areas. Also, be warned that scam artist contractors will be on the lookout for these disaster situations claiming to work for FEMA and others. According to the BBB, these “storm chasers”, as they are called, will ask for money upfront and may promise you reimbursement through FEMA afterwards.
- Move fast and be persistent. In our experience, you have to make it a priority to move as quickly as possible. After such a storm as Harvey, city officials have to make serious calculations about where Goliad needs to be financially. City planning and budget meetings have made it clear that tightening the budget is an inevitable necessity. With tax raises looming in the future for the city’s residents, now would be the smartest time to make your Goliad hurricane claim. Many insurance companies are already overrun with numerous cases, and pending claims will be handled on a “first come, first serve” basis. With so many disasters happening at once, insurance agents will be inundated handling multiple cases with multiple storms. Our attorneys encourage you to be persistent with your claim.
These are basic tips on how to file for Hurricane Harvey damage in Goliad. We hope it helps you in your effort to move forward. If you feel you may have further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us anytime day or night. The attorneys of Carabin & Shaw are here for you around the clock, and can handle your call in English or in Spanish.
If you feel you need representation to make your claim or have concerns dealing with your insurance company, we would be happy to be your trusted Goliad insurance claim lawyer that helps file your claim to receive the compensation you are entitled to. Call us toll free at 1.800.862.1260 today.