How an Oilfield Injury Attorney in Carlsbad Can Help
The oilfield is known for its dangerous work environment. Every day, oilfield workers in Carlsbad, New Mexico are faced with constant dangers that put them at risk for serious accidents leading to severe injuries or death. After an oilfield injury, you deserve compensation. No one should have to suffer because of the negligence of another.
You can pursue your claim alone, but winning the compensation you truly deserve is not always easy. Insurers will do everything they can to settle with you for less than you deserve, which is why working with a Carlsbad oilfield accident attorney is important. New Mexico attorney James Shaw knows how to accurately evaluate cases and make sure you get what you’re rightfully owed.What An Experienced Lawyer Can Do For You
Oil field accidents are legally complicated. To have the best chance at winning the compensation you deserve, you need a Carlsbad personal injury lawyer on your side.
Here’s how an oilfield injury attorney in Carlsbad can help:
- Review your case and determine whether you should pursue a third-party liability claim, a workers’ compensation claim, or both
- Determine who is responsible for your accident and prove their negligence
- Investigate and collect evidence for what happened during your accident, including any Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) violations or breaches of any other state or federal regulations
- Evaluate your case value and what damages you should be owed
- Negotiate with insurers to get you the proper settlement
- Litigate in court, if necessary
For more information, contact our law firm.How Much Does Legal Representation Cost?
After an accident, many people know that working with a lawyer will greatly benefit their case, but they may be hesitant because they think the cost will be high. The good news is, most personal injury law firms work on a “contingency fee”, which means they only get paid if they win you compensation. This means if you don’t get paid, neither does your attorney. When you win compensation, they usually take a percentage of those earnings ranging from 20-40%. If you’re worried about the cost, know that you don’t have to pay out-of-pocket. If you have questions, ask one of our Carlsbad personal injury lawyers.Different Types of Claims
When you’re injured in an oilfield accident, there are two primary ways to pursue compensation:
- Workers’ Compensation - Most oil field employers carry workers’ comp, which is insurance that provides employees compensation after work injuries for “reasonable and necessary” damages like medical expenses, disability, and a percentage of lost earnings.
Although workers’ comp is a no-fault system, it has its drawbacks for employees. They cannot pursue compensation for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, for example. One notable exception in New Mexico is that employees can still file a lawsuit against an employer in addition to workers’ comp if their employer intentionally placed a worker in harm’s way, resulting in injury or death.
- Third Party Liability Claim - The second option for pursuing damages is filing a lawsuit against the liable party. There are limitations on your ability to file a claim against your employer if you’ve recovered workers’ comp, which is why it’s best to let a Carlsbad oilfield accident attorney review your case. However, if the party whose negligence caused your accident was not your employer, you can still file a claim against them. For instance, if faulty equipment caused your accident, you may be able to sue the manufacturer.
The benefit of filing a third party claim is that you can recover compensation for economic damages and your noneconomic damages. The ability to recover noneconomic damages is important for getting you the justice you truly deserve.Getting The Justice You Deserve
Don’t settle for less. New Mexico attorney James Shaw has decades of experience working oilfield accidents, and he can fight hard to make sure you get proper compensation. Call today at 1-800-555-0101 for a free consultation.