How a San Antonio Car Accident Attorney Can Help with Underinsured Coverage Claims
In the State of Texas, all drivers are required to purchase automobile liability insurance to be out on the road. However, in the event of even a minor accident, that coverage may not be enough to fully cover the cost of repairs, medical bills, and time off of work. If you have been in an accident in the San Antonio area where you’ve had to pay for your own expenses, despite not being at fault, it may be time to enlist the help of a San Antonio car accident attorney.What You Need to File Your Auto Accident Claim
According to the Texas Department of Insurance, here’s what you will need to do to file a claim after your automobile accident in San Antonio.
- Collect the other drivers’ personal information: insurance, contact information, address, and license plate number so their insurance can be charged for your damages.
- Collect names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Call the police in the event of significant damage or any injury.
- Note the specifics of your accident - time, date, and exact location will all be relevant to your claim.
- Alert your insurance provider immediately - the sooner you file the claim, the sooner you can be repaid for medical expenses and repairs. Keep track of any expenses you incur immediately following your accident and send them to your insurance provider along with photographs of the scene
- Contact a local attorney to ensure that you get the settlement you deserve
In 2022, the Texas Department of Transportation recorded over 39,000 car accidents in San Antonio alone. While the minimum automobile liability insurance, required by the state, will cover up to $60,000 worth of injuries, and $25,000 of damages per accident, that’s often not enough, especially if more than two vehicles collide. Drivers who have only this 30/60/25 coverage, are known as Underinsured Motorists (UIM).
If the driver at fault in your car wreck in San Antonio Tx is one of these Underinsured Motorists, there will be a very low limit of damages that you will be able to collect from their insurance, resulting in the need for you to pay for the repairs to your vehicle and your medical care on your own. To avoid this, be sure to enlist the help of a lawyer right away.Understanding Your Options
There are at least 8 types of insurance Texans can have to protect themselves and their loved ones while on the road. For motorists in the second largest city in Texas, the more policies, the better.
The types of additional coverage available to you are:
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Medical Payments Coverage
- Personal Injury Coverage (PIP)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)
- Towing and Labor Coverage
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage
Navigating your own coverage needs is complicated enough without the added stress of an underinsured motorist in the mix. To get the most out of your claim, be sure to have expert attorney UIM support as early in the process as possible.Contacting an Underinsured Motorist Specialists at Carabin Shaw | Free Case Review
Take the overwhelm out of underinsured coverage claims by enlisting the help of one of the top Texas attorneys at Carabin Shaw. For nearly 30 years, our team has been here to offer our support and fight for the settlements you deserve with outstanding success.
But, don’t take our word for it, read Carabin Shaw’s client reviews and then give us a call at our toll free number, 800-862-1260 for your free case review and initial consultation. Our staff is available 24/7 to take your call in both English and Spanish.
For more information: