How to Spot Nursing Home Negligence and What to Do
Putting a loved one in a nursing home is always a difficult decision, but knowing they will get proper care and attention 24/7 can put your mind at rest. In an ideal world, McAllen nursing homes would follow the state and federal regulations required of them, and the nursing homes would be everything you could hope for for your loved one—a safe, caring environment where their needs are met. However, the truth is that nursing homes are often understaffed and underfunded, which means they fall short on meeting mandated legal standards, leading to McAllen nursing home negligence.
At Carabin Shaw, we’ve handled hundreds of elderly abuse cases, and we believe in empowering victims and their families by sharing what we know. From our experience, we know for you, as a loved one, the best defense is knowing how to spot nursing home negligence and what to do after neglect is suspected.Warning Signs of Neglect and Abuse
Although every situation is different, the common signs of nursing home neglect and abuse are the following:
- Emotional abuse - The elderly can experience emotional abuse when a caretaker ridicules, demeans, humiliates, or terrorizes them. Some common signs of emotional abuse in the elderly include anxiety, refusal to interact with staff members, unexplained dramatic mood swings, hesitation to speak out, and withdrawal from friends and family. If your loved one is exhibiting any of these signs, speak with an McAllen elder abuse lawyers as soon as possible.
- Neglect and abandonment - McAllen nursing home negligence occurs when a caretaker forgets to meet the elderly’s basic needs. Signs include malnourishment, poor hygiene, lack of necessities like adequate food and water, soiled sheets, and any unaddressed medical needs. An attorney can further explain signs of neglect.
- Financial exploitation - When living in a nursing home, the elderly can be susceptible to financial exploitation. Signs of exploitation are unexplained transactions and loss of assets, missing personal property, sudden changes in living situation (like moving rooms), and a discrepancy between assets and your loved one’s standard of living.
- Physical abuse - Signs of physical abuse include burns, bruises, cuts, broken limbs, and frequent visits from a medical provider for unknown reasons. If you suspect your loved one has been the victim of physical abuse, talk to a lawyer.
- Sexual abuse - Common symptoms of sexual abuse include pain or bleeding in the genital area or anus and the development of STDs.
Too often, the elderly do not report or speak out about abuses. If you notice any signs, you should meet with a nursing home abuse lawyer in Mcallen. It is always better to be safe than sorry.What to Do If You Suspect Negligence or Abuse
If you believe your loved one has been the victim of McAllen nursing home negligence or abuse, you should immediately call Adult Protect Services or the police. Reporting does not require proof, and it will ensure that your suspicions are documented and will be looked into. If it is a life-threatening emergency, the McAllen police will be sure to bring the elder to a safe location. If not, Adult Protect Services will investigate the case, although that may be a slow process.Free Initial Consultation
Your best resource to fight nursing home neglect and abuse is an experienced attorney. At Carabin Shaw we want to listen first to your story, because we know that every case has its own unique circumstances. Your point of view matters. Our McAllen elder abuse lawyers know that’s the best way to build a strong case, by first building a relationship of trust between us.
With our expertise, we’ve won over 500 million dollars for our previous clients, so you can trust that we will aggressively fight for you in the courtroom to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Speak with a lawyer today to get justice for you and your loved one at 956-664-2724.