Hurricane Harvey Next Steps For Victoria Residents
As Hurricane Harvey barreled its way through the Texas Coastal Bend and surrounding communities, it left upwards of $180 billion of damage to homes and businesses. Prior to making landfall, it had been twelve years since a storm of that magnitude had struck the United States. Residents of Victoria now stand amongst the thousands of property owners facing the long road of rebuilding and repairing their homes. The Victoria hurricane damage lawyers of Carabin & Shaw are ready to help.
For many people in Victoria, their home is their single greatest investment. They spend hard-earned money to maintain and improve their home, as well as on protecting their property through premiums to their insurance companies for such a time as this. Now more than ever, homeowners like you are counting on insurance companies to help them get back on their feet.
Currently, insurance companies are scrambling to meet the demand for the thousands of claims they’ve received in the days following Hurricane Harvey’s landfall. Many policyholders in Victoria are falling through the cracks, and are left wondering if they’ll ever be able to repair and rebuild their homes.
It’s also an unfortunate reality that many property owners aren’t completely aware of their rights as outlined in their insurance policy. This is where the guidance of an experienced attorney can be of greatest help.
There are some actions you can take to keep the process moving forward. If you’ve been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, the next steps for Victoria residents are outlined below.Hurricane Harvey Next Steps for Victoria Residents
- The first thing you should do is contact your insurance company to file your property claim. Once you have done that, insurance companies have an obligation to serve you and respond to your needs in a timely fashion.
- Even if your insurance company doesn’t ask for it, you should take photos and video of the damage to your home and personal property. This creates valuable documentation you may submit to your insurance company to support your claim. For victims of Hurricane Harvey, the next steps for Victoria residents to take involve being proactive through the process.
- Some property damage is so extensive that it leaves the home vulnerable to further damage. If you are faced with this situation, or even if you have any question regarding the matter, it’s a good idea to secure your home in such a way that no additional damage can occur.
- When you speak with your claims adjuster or anyone from your insurance company, be sure to keep a record of dates, names, and topics of conversation. Should any disagreement with your insurance company arise, you’ll have documentation regarding what’s been discussed.
- On top of an already tragic situation is the potential for disreputable individuals to try and take advantage of homeowners who are already anxious and frustrated. Many will pose as contracts who will claim to be able to get your home repaired at low prices and quick turnarounds. Be very wary of contractors and be sure to confirm whether or not they are a legitimate and licensed business.
If you’re a victim of Hurricane Harvey, we hope these next steps for Victoria residents have been helpful. Of course, you don’t have to go through this alone.
The attorneys of Carabin & Shaw want to express their sympathy to all those affected by Hurricane Harvey. We know that there’s little one can do to prepare for such devastation. We also understand the frustration you may be facing as you wait to hear from your insurance company. That’s why we’re ready to help.
If you’re among the thousands who are filing Victoria Hurricane claims and aren’t getting any help from your insurance company, Carabin & Shaw’s experienced team of lawyers are ready to be your voice in the fight to get what you deserve. Our attorneys will make sure you understand your rights and work hard to make sure your insurance company pays you the money you deserve, so you can get back on your feet.
Your initial consultation with one of our lawyers is free of charge, so call us today to schedule an appointment in Victoria at 361.485.1400, or call our toll-free line at 1-800-862-1260.