Laws and Regulations About Carbon Monoxide in Louisiana Hotels
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a leading cause of death in the United States each year, and it can occur without warning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas that is produced by all fuel-burning appliances. This is why carbon monoxide detectors are required in homes and apartment buildings. However, only fourteen states currently require carbon monoxide detectors to be included in hotel rooms—and Louisiana is not one of these states.
If you’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel or motel in Shreveport, Louisiana, you may be wondering what to do now. Fortunately, our experts are here to help. Read on to learn about how you can benefit from hiring a Louisiana carbon monoxide poisoning attorney and learn how to schedule a free consultation with a talented personal injury lawyer serving Shreveport.What are the Laws and Regulations About Carbon Monoxide in Louisiana Hotels?
Even though Louisiana doesn’t require all hotel rooms to have carbon monoxide detectors, you may still have legal recourse if you’ve suffered carbon monoxide exposure while staying at a hotel or motel within the state.
According to Louisiana state law, the fire marshal has the authority to require the owner or lessee of a hotel to install a carbon monoxide alarm system whenever he determines that a carbon monoxide source within or attached to the building or structure poses a threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.
These determinations can be made by the fire marshal after a plan review, an investigation, or an inspection, and the carbon monoxide sources posing a threat may include attached garages, fuel-burning appliances, generators, and more (La. Stat. Ann. § 40:1563, State Fire Marshal). So even though there is not a requirement for all hotel rooms to have carbon monoxide detectors in our state, some hotels are in fact required to have working carbon monoxide detectors if the fire marshal has said so.
You probably do not know whether or not the hotel you were staying at has been designated by the fire marshal as needing a carbon monoxide detector. However, that’s where hiring a qualified attorney can help. A personal injury lawyer who specializes in carbon monoxide claims in Louisiana can help you by conducting an investigation into the accident, and can help you determine if the hotel owner’s negligence led to your exposure to carbon monoxide.
If the attorney determines that negligence played a role in your accident, you may have grounds for significant monetary damages against the hotel owner to cover your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more.Need Legal Representation? Call Us Today and Speak to Attorney of Counsel Berit Hanna at Carabin Shaw for Free
If you were injured by carbon monoxide exposure after staying in a Louisiana hotel, it’s important to consult an attorney to understand all of your legal rights and options. You may have grounds for a personal injury claim, which can help you recover damages and pay for your medical expenses, as well as damages to cover your pain and suffering.Attorney of Counsel Berit Hanna at Carabin Shaw is here to help you decide on how to best proceed.
If you’re ready to speak to a knowledgeable Louisiana carbon monoxide poisoning attorney, know that Carabin Shaw offers all new clients a free, no obligation consultation and case review. To schedule your free consultation with an expert personal injury lawyer serving Shreveport, call our Shreveport, Louisiana office today at 800-862-1260. Don’t wait—find out how we can help you get the compensation you need and deserve.