Leading Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents: Las Cruces Attorneys
Las Cruces, New Mexico residents need to be aware of the dangers posed by their proximity to the big rig accident capital of the USA: Texas. Our Las Cruces truck accident lawyers at Carabin Shaw have compiled a list of the leading causes of 18-wheeler accidents. Read on to learn five of the top causes of these accidents, and why you should give big rigs plenty of space on the highway.Leading Causes of Big Rig Crashes
- Speeding: The leading cause of 18-wheeler accidents is speeding. When truck drivers speed to keep pace with their often unrealistic schedules, they put everyone on the road at risk. When driving at safe speeds, commercial trucks take forty percent longer to come to a stop than regular cars—and driving at higher speeds increases the braking distance exponentially.
- Improperly-maintained or overloaded trucks: Semis weigh up to 80,000 pounds (40 tons) and have a massive capacity for destruction against the average passenger vehicle, which weighs around only 5,000 pounds. Based on this disparity, it’s obvious why overloaded or poorly-maintained trucks are incredibly dangerous.
- Fatigued Truck Drivers: Driver fatigue causes approximately thirty percent of big rig accidents. Due to their frequently-hectic schedules and demanding quotas, many truckers decide to drive in a fatigued state, despite the considerable risk this poses to the drivers on the road around them.
- Drug and Alcohol Impairment: Despite the strict laws and hefty fines imposed on intoxicated truckers, many truck drivers drive under the influence every day. Giant trucks + impaired drivers = disaster.
- Distracted Driving: Truck drivers drive day in and day out and have more opportunities to drive distracted than those of us who don’t spend all day in our vehicles. Any time a driver looks away from the road or focuses on something besides driving, that’s distracted driving. Texting, checking a GPS, or even adjusting the radio can become deadly in a fraction of a second—especially when these actions occur behind the wheel of a 40-ton big rig.
If you were injured in an 18-wheeler accident, you’ve probably sustained severe injuries and vehicle damage. You probably have substantial medical bills, and you are probably searching for a lawyer who will have your best interests at heart while also securing you the best possible settlement.
That’s where we come in. The Las Cruces trucking injury attorneys of Carabin Shaw believe that trucking companies and their drivers must be held accountable for the accidents they cause and that big rig accident victims should receive full compensation for the injuries and damages incurred by these traumatic crashes. We want to help you in any way we can.The Importance of Choosing the Right Lawyer After Your Wreck
If you’ve been injured in an 18-wheeler wreck, it’s crucial that you choose the right lawyer. You need an attorney with a sizeable team, years of experience, and insider knowledge of the trucking industry. At Carabin Shaw, our 18-wheeler accident lawyers in New Mexico meet all these qualifications and more.
If you’re looking for a trucking injury lawyer in Las Cruces, New Mexico, look no further. Our experienced Las Cruces 18-wheeler injury lawyers have handled dozens of cases like yours and will fight tirelessly for you, so you get the best possible settlement. Choosing the right attorney is a crucial factor in your case’s outcome, so why not pick the best injury attorney in Las Cruces?
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a trucking accident, we want to help you get your life back on track. Call us today at 915-779-2301 or toll-free at 800-862-1260 for a free consultation with a semitruck injury attorney. Find out what our experienced lawyers in Las Cruces can do for you.