10 Best Attorney Client Satisfaction
Google verifed reviews
BBB - Acredited Business A+
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
AVVO Rating - James Michael Shaw 10.0

Liability for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in a Rented Shreveport Home

In the aftermath of catastrophic storms, many Shreveport, Louisiana residents have lost their homes and have been forced to relocate, temporarily or permanently, in local rental units. Unfortunately, many Louisiana renters have recently fallen victim to carbon monoxide exposure as a result.

If you or a loved one have been poisoned by carbon monoxide in a Shreveport, Louisiana rental, it is important to explore your options. With the help of an experienced carbon monoxide poisoning attorney, you can hold the liable parties financially accountable and receive the compensation you deserve. Before taking any legal action, consult with a personal injury lawyer serving Shreveport to learn more.

What Is Carbon Monoxide? What Injuries Does It Cause?

Carbon monoxide—a colorless, odorless, and tasteless byproduct of burning fossil fuels—is largely undetectable to humans. For this reason, it is crucial that Louisiana rental homes install working carbon monoxide detectors near all sleeping areas. Without these detectors, Shreveport renters can be slowly poisoned, never realizing the danger until it is too late.

Injuries caused by carbon monoxide poisoning can include, but are not limited to:

  • Cardiac arrest
  • Impaired cognitive functioning
  • Miscarriage
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Death

Victims and their families should not be responsible to shoulder the burden of immense physical, financial, and emotional losses on their own.

Who is Liable for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Shreveport Rental Homes?


Shreveport landlords have a legal and moral responsibility to provide safe rental units for their tenants. However, in the cases of previous carbon monoxide poisoning in Shreveport rental homes, landlords are the most common party to be found liable.

There are two main ways in which landlords are found to be responsible for carbon monoxide exposure:

  1. Failure to provide rental units with functioning carbon monoxide detectors.

    Louisiana state law requires all dwelling units to install carbon monoxide detectors, so if a landlord fails to do so, they are not only in violation of the law but can be held financially liable for any injuries caused by their negligence.

  2. Failure to properly inspect and maintain fossil-fuel burning appliances in rental units.

    Most rental units include at least a few appliances that pose a risk for carbon monoxide poisoning (fireplaces, heating units, gas-ovens, etc.), so it is important to properly upkeep them and make sure there are necessarily outlets for ventilation.

Other Liable Parties

Landlords are by and large the most likely party to be held financially liable for carbon monoxide leaks. However, other potentially liable parties may include:

  • Corporate-run apartment chains
  • Manufacturers of faulty fossil-fuel burning appliances
  • Negligent repairmen
  • Negligent technicians
  • Manufacturers of malfunctioning carbon monoxide detectors

It is important to determine the exact cause of a carbon monoxide leak in order to determine who should be held financially responsible.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Shreveport renters deserve the peace of mind of knowing their homes are safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. When renting, ask your landlord how they keep their rental units safe from potential leaks. Ask to see where the carbon monoxide detectors in your home are located and to know the date of the last inspection. It is likewise important to change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors; it is the renter’s responsibility to make sure the batteries are regularly replaced (usually twice a year).

Statute of Limitations

Remember, determining liability for carbon monoxide poisoning in rented Shreveport homes can be extremely complicated. In addition, the statute of limitations in Louisiana for toxic tort cases (such as carbon monoxide poisoning) is one year from the date of exposure. Therefore, it is in your best interests to contact a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Attorney of Counsel of Carabin Shaw, Berit Hanna

If you have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in Shreveport, you may be eligible to seek financial compensation for your injuries. Trusted attorney of Counsel Berit Hanna at Carabin Shaw is an experienced personal injury lawyer serving Shreveport families.

If you are interested in scheduling a no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation and case review with Attorney Berit Hanna, contact our office toll-free today at 800-862-1260.

Visits with the Attorney are by appointment only. Main office San Antonio, Texas.

Client Reviews
We are very glad we called Carabin Shaw after our accident. We now recommend them to everyone. - Griselda S.
You want Carabin Shaw on your side after an accident. They were excellent. - Valerie S.
In our opinion, no one is better, Carabin Shaw is the Law Firm you want on your side after an accident. - Amanda G.
The attorneys and staff went out of their way to help us after our accident. Thank you Carabin Shaw. - Melinda F.
We did our research after our accident and chose Carabin Shaw. They were great. Highly recommend. Joel Y.