Medical Malpractice Statistics
The number of malpractice cases appearing every year in Texas is growing, highlighting an escalating problem among our state’s healthcare system. If you or someone you care about has fallen victim to any case of medical malpractice along the coast in Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, or anywhere else in Texas, you may require legal attention to obtain full compensation for your suffering and loss. Fortunately, there is an Aransas Pass attorney from Carabin Shaw ready to help protect your rights and assist you in obtaining maximum compensation.
Perhaps the most shocking of all the medical malpractice statistics regarding medical negligence in this country is the fact that medical malpractice is the third-leading cause of yearly deaths in the United States, according to a new study. In fact, only heart disease and cancer claim more lives each year. Texas patients are all too susceptible to malpractice; in 2003, the NBPD (National Practitioner Data Bank) claimed that 8% of all medical malpractice cases in the country occurred within Texas’ borders.
Ultimately, the true impact of medical malpractice may be far more serious. It is impossible to account for every individual malpractice case or accurately estimate to what extent each may truly affect the victim.
The first step to prevention, or at least redress, is awareness and education of victims and their families so they may be armed properly with the knowledge along with the guidance of an attorney combat malpractice and physician negligence.
Below are just some of the recent data points related to medical malpractice statistics’ overwhelming presence in the United States:
- In 2012, medical malpractice victims in the United States claimed more than $3 billion in restitution.
- Approximately 33% of malpractice victims are either diagnosed late, or misdiagnosed altogether.
- Almost 33% of all malpractice payouts involve a patient that has died from inappropriate or substandard treatment.
- Over the last 15 years, the average payout has increased by more than $100,000 per claim
- The NPDB has determined that, out of a population of just under 28 million people, the state of Texas produces a total of just under 60,000 total malpractice reports each year.
- TMB (Texas Medical Board) patterns indicate that over a recent ten-year span, claims against doctors and physicians in the state rose more than 76%.
- Total yearly payouts in Texas medical malpractice suits now amount to just under $76 million in total compensation.
For the victims in these cases, the assistance of a lawyer can often prove to be the difference between the success or dismissal of your claim, especially if you are leading yourself through a legal proceeding for the first time. Fortunately, the attorneys at Carabin Shaw are here to help you regarding any form of Aransas Pass medical malpractice. Carabin Shaw attorneys provide all clients with comprehensive legal representation. Our services include:
- Spanish-speaking bilingual attorneys and staff
- Free initial consultation for clients in Aransas Pass
- In-home and hospital visits
- 24-hour legal representation
- Emergency legal assistance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
If you have found yourself the victim of a case of medical malpractice in Aransas Pass or the surrounding area, it is important to understand that you are not alone. You have options, and you deserve to know them. Don’t let your suffering and compromised ability to live a normal life become just another medical malpractice statistic.
Contact one of our Aransas Pass medical negligence attorneys today at our Port Aransas office at 361.717.4411, or toll-free day or night at 800-862-1260. We are here for you.