The basic requirements for naturalization:
- Have been a permanent residents for 5 years before naturalizing, in most cases;
- Are at least 18 years old;
- Have lived continuously in the U.S. (not lived out of U.S. for more than 6 months);
- Be a person of Good Moral Character; and
- Pass English and Civics exam;
Make sure that you can meet the naturalization requirements before submitting your application because the fee is non-refundable even if you are denied.N-400 Application
When submitting Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, you will also have to provide supporting documents. A personal interview will be held between the applicant and a USCIS official, where you should be informed by the end of your interview whether you will be granted citizenship or if further information is needed. Taking your oath of citizenship is you final step to becoming an official U.S. citizen. If you need more information on this or other immigration matters please contact Alia Moore with the Carabin Shaw 800-862-1260 - toll free.