Police Officer Injured Trying to Stop Suspected Car Burglar in Live Oak

A disguised man is breaking a car window

Do you have to pay if your stolen car was in an accident in San Antonio?


Officer Suffers Minor Injury Attempting to Stop a Car Burglar in Live Oak

According to a KSAT News report, a Live Oak police officer was injured trying to stop a suspected car burglar in the early morning hours of August 22, 2023.

Police reported the incident happened at around 3:15 a.m. on Tuesday on the 800 Block of Shin Oak. They received a call about three men possibly burglarizing vehicles. When they arrived, they found many vehicles that had already been broken into and a white van with its door open at the scene. A man in a hoodie and face mask was chased and tackled after attempting to flee to the van but managed to escape after a struggle with the officer, who sustained minor injuries.

Did You Know?

Auto Accidents are a leading cause of death for police officers, killing 498 officers between 2012 and 2022.

Frequently Asked Questions About Stolen Vehicle Accidents in San Antonio

San Antonio is experiencing abnormally high rates of stolen vehicles this year — car thefts increased 59% over 2022 in the first 3 months of this year. This article will discuss frequently asked questions about stolen vehicle accidents in San Antonio.

My Stolen Car Was in a Wreck — Do I Have to Pay?

Let’s say your car was stolen and gets into a serious wreck in San Antonio. Can you be held responsible for the damages?

If your vehicle was stolen and gets in an accident, you are not legally responsible for the accident*. Yet, if they hit another person and injure them, they aren’t responsible either, so who pays for the damage to your car?

If your vehicle is stolen and damaged, you need comprehensive auto insurance coverage to cover the damages. This kind of coverage also usually includes glass and windshield repair.

*See our other article on the Negligent Entrustment Doctrine, which may hold you responsible in specific scenarios.

I Was Injured by a Stolen Vehicle — Who Pays?

If a driver of a stolen vehicle injured you, you can get compensation from your own auto insurance. Personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will work in this scenario since the driver of the stolen vehicle will not be on that vehicle’s insurance.

My Vehicle Was Stolen — What Do I Do?

Here are 3 steps you should immediately take when you discover your car was stolen:

  1. Call the Police – Immediately call 9-1-1 or (210) 207-7345 when you discover your car was stolen. Give them your VIN, which you can find on your insurance card.
  2. Report the Theft to Your Insurance – Even if you don’t have comprehensive coverage, contact your insurance company and report the theft. Do this after contacting the police because your insurance will likely investigate the claim for fraud.
  3. Contact Your Lender if the Vehicle is Leased or Still Being Financed.

Do I Need an Attorney?

Whether you were injured by a stolen car or your stolen car was in an accident, you need an auto accident attorney. The insurance you pay for is supposed to cover your damages, but they are well-known for not wanting to do that. The best way to ensure you are legally compensated is to hire a car accident attorney in San Antonio.

Hire Carabin Shaw Auto Accident Attorneys

If your stolen vehicle was damaged or if you were injured in an accident with a stolen vehicle, contact the team of auto accident attorneys at Carabin Shaw with 30 years of experience. We put our clients first because we care. Contact us today at 800-862-1260 for a free case evaluation, or use the live chat at the bottom right of your screen. We look forward to serving you.

Contact Information