Next Steps For Hurricane Harvey Victims in Refugio
As one of the many Coastal Bend cities in Texas, Refugio residents are among the more than 300,000 people affected by the force of Hurricane Harvey. The storm proved to be the worst to hit the United States in twelve years, and it will likely be years before the affected communities fully recover. In the aftermath of a storm such as this, it’s especially difficult to know where to start rebuilding. You always have the option of speaking with an attorney for legal counsel, but there are also some very basic next steps for Hurricane Harvey victims in Refugio that will set this process in motion.Next Steps for Hurricane Harvey Victims in Refugio
- The first thing you should do after a natural disaster is call your insurance carrier. Many insurance carriers have established hurricane hotlines staffed with representatives working around the clock to receive calls from victims of Hurricane Harvey in Refugio. If you haven’t already done so, call your insurance company today to establish your property claim.
- Once you’ve had the opportunity to begin your claim with your insurance company, they may request you provide documentation of your damage. If it’s safe to return to your home in Refugio, be diligent to take as many photos as you can to function as the requested documentation. It might also be in your best interest to keep an itemized list of what was damaged, as well as copies of the photos.
- After filing your claim and establishing documentation of your damages, you will likely be asked by your insurance company to mitigate your damages. This means that you should take the necessary steps to secure your property so that no further damage happens. As always, maintaining your personal safety as a top priority.
- It would also be beneficial to establish a ‘claim diary’ in which you document all conversations, notices received, damages claimed, and other details of the case. You’ll want to keep records of whom you spoke with, when you spoke with them, and any commitments they made to you. The insurance companies in Texas are receiving a large number of claims from Refugio, so you’ll want to keep good documentation of any actions you take as you work through the claims process. This will also be helpful in the event you reach an impasse with your insurance company and require the services of an attorney to assist you.
- Finally, one of the most unfortunate occurrences after a tragedy like Hurricane Harvey is the extent to which fraud takes place. Unlicensed and disreputable individuals will pose as legitimate contractors to take advantage of others’ misfortune. If you are approached by a contractor making promises of quick repairs, and it sounds too good to be true, it very well may be. You’ll want to be sure and check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure you’re dealing with a legitimate contractor before making any commitment to use their services.
These are just a few of the next steps for Hurricane Harvey victims in Refugio. We would also encourage you to speak with a Refugio hurricane insurance claim lawyer that can provide insight and assistance into this often lengthy and complicated process.
At Carabin & Shaw, our dedicated and experienced attorneys stand ready to serve you in your Refugio hurricane claim. Your first consultation with one of our lawyers is always free of charge, and we will use our knowledge and resources to ensure you receive a fair settlement for your hurricane damage in Refugio. Carabin & Shaw will work to make sure your insurance company responds as they should in a timely manner.
To schedule an appointment for a free consultation either in person or over the phone with one of our lawyers in Refugio, give us a call today at 361.589.5413 or toll-free at 1.800.862.1260.