Next Steps For Hurricane Harvey Victims in Sinton
Hurricane Harvey victims are busy trying to gain some semblance of normalcy and figure out what they need to do now that the storm has receded, but much damage still remains. The lawyers at Carabin & Shaw serving Sinton, Texas, would like to try and make the path forward a little clearer for affected citizens. We understand that you may be somewhat lost and more than a little worried about the near future. We have compiled a few next steps for Hurricane Harvey victims in Sinton to help you and your family get back to where you need to be.
- The first thing you should do is to contact your insurance company immediately. Most insurance companies operate on a first come, first serve basis, and in large disasters like this, there will be an overwhelming amount of claims coming in to be processed. The sooner you file, the sooner you can get compensated for any damages incurred by the storm.
- Once you file your claim, you may also need an insurance agent to come out to your property to assess the damage. If you file too late, it could be weeks or months before an insurance agent is able to make it out. This could mean having to live with damage and destruction for a while. By contacting the attorneys at Carabin & Shaw in Sinton, you can easily get help filing your claim quickly and efficiently.
- When you do contact the insurance company, have your policy number ready and be sure to ask about what you’re covered for. Most people are surprised to find that they are not covered for flooding damages by their policy, but there are several other options for getting compensation through wind and storm coverage. It is best to find out the details about your policy before you file. What may not be covered by flooding insurance may be covered under wind damages. If you are unsure what portion of your damages are covered by your policy, our lawyers in Sinton can help you understand your policy and what coverage can be applied to your damages.
- The next step for Hurricane Harvey victims in Sinton is to make sure to document any and all damages. This includes taking photographic evidence and making a list of damaged or lost property. The more photos taken, the better. Insurance companies will need evidence of the damage in order to compensate you, and these photos of lost and damaged items will help your case if anything changes between the day of the hurricane and the day that the insurance agent arrives.
- Many insurance agencies will send out an agent to your property to assess damages, and it is best not to make any repairs to your property without an insurance agent makes an assessment. However, it may be awhile before someone can get to your property due to the sheer amount of Sinton hurricane claims being filed. If you are unsure what to document, you can call the attorneys at Carabin & Shaw in Sinton out to your property to help you assess what needs to be recorded.
- It is also imperative that you keep a record of all expenditures made due to the hurricane. This means keeping the receipts and documenting all purchases that you made in order to fix any damages, replace lost or damaged property, or any gas, hotel, or food purchases incurred while having to evacuate. The more you document and the more detailed your records, the easier it will be for you to receive the right amount of compensation for all damages.
- Besides receipts, you should also keep a record of who you speak with at the insurance agency and everything they tell you. If there is a discrepancy later on, it is good to be able to fall back on this information. Right now it may be very difficult for you to stay organized. The lawyers at Carabin & Shaw in Sinton can help you to organize and track your records while adding details and specifics to strengthen your claim.
If you are unsure about any of these next steps for Hurricane Harvey victims in Sinton and would like confirmation that you are receiving the right amount of compensation, contact our legal team today. We are here to help make this process easier and make sure you understand every step. We offer free consultations with bilingual representatives, and we want to make sure you and your family are taken care of.
Insurance companies may try to take advantage of your confusion and panic, but we will step in to fight for what you are rightfully owed. Call us toll-free at 1.800.862.1260 day or night, and a Sinton hurricane insurance claims lawyer will be ready to take your case.