Next Steps for Victims of a Trucking Accident in Las Cruces
When you’re involved in a trucking accident in Las Cruces, the results are often devastating. After an accident, you’ll want to pursue compensation for the injuries and damages you’ve sustained. The next steps for victims of a trucking accident in Las Cruces are vital to making the most of your case.
If you or a loved one was injured in an 18 wheeler accident, you should consult a trucking accident lawyer in Las Cruces. An experienced attorney will be able to help you fight against trucking companies and make them pay. New Mexico attorney James Shaw has helped hundreds if not thousands of people injured in 18 wheeler accidents get the settlements that were right for them.Best Practices After an 18 Wheeler Accident
After an 18 wheeler accident, you need to know what to do. Your actions can impact your health as well as the value of your case, so it’s important to do the following:
- Seek medical attention - Arguably the most important step is to seek medical attention because it concerns your well-being. Whether you have severe injuries or feel like you have suffered no damage at all, you need to visit a doctor or hospital. Internal injuries may show no immediate outward signs, and sometimes other injuries don’t show up for days or even weeks. A doctor can evaluate your health and make sure you’re on the right road to recovery. Your visit will also be documented in your medical record, which your Las Cruces injury attorney will use as evidence to connect the 18 wheeler accident to your injuries.
- Call the police - After an accident, you must remain at the scene of the crash. Make sure everyone is okay, and if you’re able, move the vehicles and yourself out of harm’s way. Notify the police of the accident. They’ll assess the situation and create an accident report. If possible, request a copy of the accident report to keep for your records.
- Collect evidence - In addition to your medical record and accident report, you’ll want to collect as much evidence as you can. While at the accident scene, make sure to take photographs of anything you think is significant, including any damage to both vehicles. If there are witnesses, get their contact information. Also, write down your own account of what happened because your memory may fade over time. All of this evidence will be useful for your lawyer.
- Stay off social media - In today’s world, it’s hard to avoid social media. After an accident, however, it’s best not to post anything until you speak with your trucking accident lawyer in Las Cruces. Anything posted online can be screenshotted and used against you, which could affect your compensation.
- Talk to insurers - After your 18 wheeler wreck, you’ll have to notify your insurer. Tell them what happened, but stick to the facts and never admit fault. If the other party’s insurer contacts you, only give a statement if you have to. The same rules apply. Anything you say can be used against you, so it’s best to say only what you must. One benefit of working with a law firm is that they can talk to insurers on your behalf, which will help you get the most out of your case.
An 18 wheeler accident is always devastating. Victims typically end up with severe injuries, but trucking companies and their insurers want to compensate them with as little as possible, which often does not even cover all expenses. To beat them and get what you deserve, you need a Las Cruces injury attorney on your side.
New Mexico attorney James Shaw has a “client first” philosophy, which means if you work with him, what you want is what you’ll get. You can learn more about his qualifications and expertisehere. To speak with him, call toll free at 1-800-555-0101.