Oilfield Accident Settlements in New Mexico | Deming Lawyer
Accidents in the oilfield happen frequently in Deming, New Mexico. When you’re injured because of someone else’s negligence, you need to speak with a Deming personal injury lawyer who can review your case and determine what damages you’re rightfully owed.
Victims don’t always get the compensation they deserve in oilfield accident settlements in New Mexico, which is why working with good legal representation is highly advised. New Mexico attorney James Shaw always puts his clients first. He fights hard to make sure they get the support and compensation they need to return to normalcy.Types of Oilfield Accidents
Workers in the oilfield face the risk of accidents every day. Below are some of the leading causes of injuries for oilfield workers:
- Slip and falls
- Slick surfaces and the oil field’s fast-paced work environment are a recipe for slips and falls. Workers are constantly at risk of slipping and falling, which could lead to broken bones, neck and spinal cord injuries, and even paralysis.
- Oil fields and oil rigs usually have multiple levels. When workers fall from an upper deck, the injuries can be even more severe. Talk to a Deming oilfield accident attorney if your injuries were caused by a slip and fall.
- Blowouts and Explosions
- Oil rigs are designed to prevent blowouts and explosions from happening. Unfortunately, even the best technology cannot fully eliminate these kinds of disasters.
- Sometimes extreme pressure from a sudden surge of oil can cause a blowout, leading to an explosion. When an explosion occurs on an oil rig, everyone nearby is at risk for serious injury or death.
- Poisonous gas
- When you’re drilling deep in the oil field, there’s the risk of rupturing a pipe carrying toxic chemicals such as silica, mercury, hydrogen sulfide, or naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORM).
- When workers are exposed to these kinds of chemicals, it can cause life-long problems, and prolonged exposure can sometimes lead to death.
- Drilling requires going underground, where electrical wires are often run. If an employee using heavy machinery makes contact with these electrical wires, it can cause electrocution.
- Improper use of heavy machinery
- Work in the oil field requires daily use of heavy machinery, and most of this machinery takes a high level of skill and focus to operate. If improperly trained workers use heavy machinery, it can lead to disaster. Or, if workers are operating this equipment under the influence of drugs or alcohol, accidents are bound to happen. An attorney can answer any questions you have about an injury resulting from heavy machinery.
To win your case, your Deming personal injury lawyer must prove negligence by illustrating the following four key elements:
- The negligent party owed you a duty of care
- The negligent party breached that duty of care
- The negligent party’s breach of duty of care was the cause of your accident
- Your accident lead to damages, which you should be compensated for
Compensation is divided into two categories: economic and noneconomic damages. If you get compensation through workers’ comp, you can only recover economic damages such as medical bills. If you pursue a third party liability suit, on the other hand, you can recover noneconomic damages such as pain and suffering in addition to recoupment for economic damages.
Below is a list of the economic and noneconomic damages you may be able to win:
- Medical bills
- Loss of income
- Loss of past and future income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral costs
To know what damages apply to your case, talk to a lawyer.Choosing the Right Attorney
When you are injured in the oilfield, you deserve to be compensated. A Deming oilfield accident attorney can help. New Mexico attorney James Shaw believes in fighting for those in need. Call toll free at 1-800-555-0101 for a free consultation.