Refugio Wind Damage Insurance Claims
Hurricane Harvey tore through the Texas Coastal Bend communities last August, including Refugio, leaving thousands behind without power and many with the total loss of their home. Governor Abbott was reported as estimating the cost to rebuild at around $180 billion, but that is just the beginning of the story.
The wind damage resulting from Hurricane Harvey was worse than any storm to strike the United States in twelve years. Some homes may have only received minor damage, but many experienced much more significant losses. If you’re one of the thousands filing Refugio wind damage insurance claims, consider the following.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) says it will pay out $11 billion for Hurricane Harvey damages, and that isn’t including the more recent impact of Hurricane Irma. This raises two significant concerns for those filing Refugio hurricane claims.
- First, the amount FEMA expects to pay for Hurricane Harvey is only a fraction of the total cost. More than $160 billion remains to be covered.
- Second, FEMA doesn’t even have the funds on hand to pay $11 billion dollars. The federal agency will have to approach Congress for additional funding, but that request could take weeks to fulfill.
When you now add Hurricane Irma to an already overwhelmed group of insurance companies, one can begin to see a serious problem on the horizon. Insurance companies currently overrun with record numbers of claims to pay will be looking for ways to minimize their payouts. That could affect you and your ability to get back on your feet.
The Refugio wind damage insurance claims lawyers of Carabin & Shaw have extensive experience working on behalf of homeowners to protect their rights before insurance companies. For years, you have faithfully paid your premiums to protect what is likely your largest financial investment. Now it’s time for the insurance companies to deliver the service you expect.
Refugio wind damage insurance claims are taken in and handled on a first come, first served basis due to this congestion. Many people have reported having trouble getting through to their insurance companies beyond making their initial report and now are left wondering if they’ll ever be able to recover.
While you wait to hear from your insurance company, there are a few things you should consider to protect yourself.
- First, take good photos or video of your damages. Make an inventory of lost or damaged items. Don’t discard anything until the insurance adjuster has a chance to perform a thorough inspection.
- If your home was damaged to such an extent that to leave it as it is could cause you further loss, take the necessary steps to securely and safely protect your home and personal property. Not doing so could jeopardize your claim.
- This a good time for you to become thoroughly knowledgeable about your insurance policy. The language in it can be confusing, so consider asking an attorney for help.
- When you are able to speak with your insurance company, keep a good journal of your conversations. Write down dates, names, commitments made, and any other pertinent information. This could be an invaluable resource should you come to a point of disagreement with your insurance company.
- If you incur any costs for temporary repairs, lodging, or anything else as a direct result of Hurricane Harvey, hang onto your receipts. You’ll want to submit these to your insurance company for reimbursement as part of your Refugio wind damage insurance claim.
The attorneys and staff of Carabin & Shaw understand what the residents of Refugio are dealing with. We know that trying to work with your insurance company can be a frustrating endeavor.
If you’re at the end of your frustration and need help, call us. Our attorneys are committed to making sure your insurance company responds to your needs. Your first visit with us is free of charge. One our attorneys in Refugio will discuss your case and then get to work recovering the money necessary to start rebuilding your life.
To schedule a free visit with one of our lawyers in Refugio, give us a toll-free call today at 800-862-1260.