The Do’s and Don’ts Following a Crystal City Auto Accident
When people get into a car accident in Crystal City, Texas, many people don’t know all the right things to do. A car wreck can take a psychological toll, and you may need time to understand what happened during the accident. Knowing the do’s and don’ts following a crystal city auto accident can ensure you take the proper steps to make the most of your case.
Our team at Carabin Shaw has been serving Texans for over 25 years. From our experience representing victims of automobile accidents, every Crystal City car accident attorney at our firm knows what you should and shouldn’t do after a car wreck.What To Do After A Car Wreck
After an auto accident in Crystal City, you should do the following:
- Seek medical attention.Your well-being is of the utmost importance. When you visit the doctor or hospital, you get a professional medical examination to assess your injuries and get you on the road to recovery. Additionally, your injuries will be officially documented in your medical record, which will be a useful piece of evidence when your lawyer files suit on your behalf.
- Call the police. In Texas, you have to call the police if your accident causes bodily injury, the death of a loved one, or if it causes damage worth $1,000 or more. The police will create an accident report, which will be the first step in building your case. Contact a Crystal City personal injury lawyer to learn more.
- Document evidence. If you’re able, make sure to document the accident scene with photographs. Write down your own account of the accident that you can share later with your attorney. If you have any injuries, be sure to take photos of them and keep a log to track your injuries with dates as any developments or changes occur.
- Collect information from the other driver and witnesses.At the scene of the accident in Crystal City, Texas, you’ll want to exchange information with the other driver such as driver’s licenses, insurance information, vehicle VIN number and license plate number, and general contact information. If there are witnesses, get their names and contact information. Your Crystal City car accident attorney will use this information during their investigation.
Equally important to what you should do, you should not do the following after a car accident:
- Don’t move the vehicle.Unless you are in imminent danger, you should not move your vehicle. It’s important that law enforcement document the accident as it happened. Also, be sure to remain at the accident scene until the police give you permission to leave.
- Don’t admit fault.Never admit fault after an auto accident in Crystal City. Doing so could affect your ability to receive the damages you are owed.
- Don’t give a statement to the other party’s insurance adjuster. You are not by law required to give a statement to the other party’s insurers. They may seem nice, but they have every intention of paying you as little as possible. If you say anything incriminating, it could jeopardize your chance at winning compensation. If you must talk to them, stick to the facts only. If you work with an attorney, they can handle these conversations for you.
- Don’t agree to settle without legal representation. To have the best chance at winning the compensation you deserve, you should consult a Crystal City personal injury lawyer. Our team at Carabin Shaw has won over $1 billion for our clients, so we know what it takes to win any type of auto accident case.
If you’ve followed the do’s and don’ts following a Crystal City auto accident, you should be able to get the money you are rightfully owed. Speak with a lawyer at our firm today by calling 956-333-3333 or 1-800-862-1260.