The Top 3 Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents | Carlsbad Attorneys
In 2018, the Permian Basin became the world’s largest oil producer. As a result, cities like Carlsbad, New Mexico have experienced increased economic growth and activity. As more vehicles traverse the area, accidents with large trucks have become more prevalent. If you were in a crash with a semi-truck, you might need guidance regarding your trucking injury claim. Luckily, a Carlsbad 18 wheeler accident lawyer from Carabin Shaw can help.Navigating “Death Highway”
Commercial trucks race down rural roads in the Permian Basin, hurrying to deliver fracking sand, heavy equipment, oil, and other industrial goods. This productivity comes at a cost. April Reese, a reporter with Searchlight New Mexico, met with Carlsbad, New Mexico residents to learn more about the risks semi-trucks pose to drivers in the area. She reveals that locals have started referring to a stretch of US 285 as a Death Highway. This name isn’t sensationalized. Reese explains, “In 2018, there were 49 crashes (20 involving a heavy truck), up from 31 crashes (15 truck-related) the year before.” Motorists are feeling unsafe for a reason.
A licensed attorney can help you file a claim if a semi-truck accident harmed you or a loved one. You deserve compensation for your injuries.What Causes Trucking Accidents?
Any Carlsbad injury attorney knows that semi-truck crashes are increasing in frequency. To better understand the contributing factors behind these accidents, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has been gathering information for nearly two decades. In a 2008 report called “Why Trucks and Cars Collide,” Dr. Ralph Craft of the U.S. Department of Transportation synthesizes years of data and identifies the top 3 causes of 18 wheeler accidents. They are:
- Poor decision making: Poor decision making includes making illegal maneuvers, driving aggressively, driving too fast for conditions, following another vehicle too closely, and misjudging a gap between cars or another motorist’s speed. This type of error accounts for roughly 42% of 18 wheeler accidents that are the trucker’s fault. A seasoned Carlsbad trucking accident attorney can help you file a claim against the aggressive truck operator who caused your injuries.
- Distracted driving: Errors of recognition or inattention might involve inadequate surveillance when making a lane change or turn. They can also include distractions, both inside and outside the vehicle. Today, common distractions often involve technology, such as cell phones and the sound system. Truckers’ distracted driving accounts for 35% of commercial vehicle crashes. A Carlsbad 18 wheeler accident lawyer can help prosecute the responsible party.
- Vehicle issues: Semi-truck vehicle problems were twice as likely to cause a crash than similar problems in passenger cars. Vehicle issues might include brakes, tires, or lights. While good brakes are paramount for any vehicle, they are crucial for 18 wheelers because these massive trucks take longer to stop than other cars on the road. Cars take approximately 316 feet to come to a complete stop after the driver hits the brakes. By comparison, it takes a semi-truck about 525 feet to stop after the driver reacts. Lawyers know that drivers and their companies are responsible for maintaining the rigs and can help you investigate your case.
Some other causes of semi-truck accidents are:
- Driver fatigue
- Substance abuse
- Environmental issues (e.g., bad roadways, poor weather)
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway
If you suspect any of the above caused your collision, get in touch with a Carlsbad 18 wheeler accident lawyer. An attorney can help you sort through your options and figure out your next steps.Connect with a Lawyer Today
In commercial vehicle accidents, the most common at-fault parties are truck drivers, trucking companies, and parts manufacturers. The Carabin Shaw team has experience with each type of lawsuit, and we will use what we know to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
To speak with a Carlsbad trucking accident attorney, dial 915-779-2301 or call us toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.