Uninsured Motorist Claim After a Dallas | Fort Worth Auto Accident
Many of us have been there: a collision with another vehicle. The procedures to follow include exchanging insurance information with the other driver, going through the paperwork filing process, communicating with insurance companies, etc. However, what should you do when you’re in a collision with an uninsured motorist? Because Texas isn’t a no-fault state for auto accidents, if the driver who caused your collision is uninsured, you may be stuck with the bill after your Dallas/Fort Worth car accident.
However, there are options for victims of uninsured motor accidents. You may be eligible to file an uninsured motorist lawsuit with a qualified Dallas/Fort Worth auto injury lawyer. Call the Texas personal injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw to begin the process of filing your claim.What to Do After a Collision With an Uninsured Motorist Call the Police
This should be the first step after all auto accidents, but it can prove especially important in your uninsured motorist claim. Having an official police record of your accident can provide important context in establishing liability and damages.Take Pictures
Take pictures from multiple angles of the wreckage in order to provide the clearest picture of the cause of the accident. Make sure to save these photos and provide them to your attorney during your case review.Collect Information
Make sure that you write down the uninsured motorist’s name and contact information. More importantly, get the car’s make and model as well as the license plate number.Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Dallas/Fort Worth
Finding the right car accident attorney will make all the difference in the success of your uninsured motorist claim. Look for lawyers with specialty practice areas in personal injury law and prior experience representing uninsured motorist claims. Once you hire representation, you can begin the process of filing an uninsured motorist claim.Uninsured Motorist Claims: What You Need to Know
- Providing your Dallas/Fort Worth auto injury lawyer with the pictures you took and the information you collected the day of your collision will help them to build a more accurate personal injury claim
- The laws surrounding uninsured auto accident claims can be complex. You may have uninsured motorist insurance, but it can still be incredibly difficult to obtain compensation from an uninsured driver. Even if you win your case, the defendant may declare bankruptcy and you will be unable to obtain your settlement.
- The state of Texas requires all accident victims to file for damages within two years of the date of their injuries. If you file after this cut-off, you may be ineligible to file a lawsuit.
- In some cases, a judge may provide other options when an uninsured motorist is unable to pay the financial settlement in full. These options may include a payment plan or placing a lien on the defendant’s property.
- The only way to know more about the details of your specific uninsured motorist claim is to contact a car accident lawyer in Dallas/Fort Worth as soon as possible.
If you have been hit by an uninsured motorist in Dallas/Fort Worth, you have the right to seek financial compensation for the full extent of your damages. The car accident lawyers of Carabin Shaw have represented car accident victims and their families for thirty years. We would be honored to help you file your uninsured motorist claim after a Dallas/Fort Worth auto accident.
To schedule your no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation with the Dallas/Fort Worth auto injury lawyers, call our office toll-free at 800-862-1260 or fill out our online contact form.