What to do After a Rear-End or Under-Ride 18 Wheeler Collision
A wreck with an 18-wheeler in Las Cruces is always dangerous, whether you’re involved in a rear-end accident or an under-ride. A rear-end collision is a wreck that can occur with all vehicle types, defined by one vehicle running into the rear of another; an under-ride, though, is unique to wrecks with big rigs and occurs when a car slides beneath the 18 wheeler.
If you or a loved one were involved in an accident with a big rig, you might be wondering what to do after a rear-end or under-ride 18 wheeler collision. Rest assured, our experienced team of lawyers at Carabin Shaw has dealt with these kinds of cases often. The first thing we want to do is let our New Mexico 18 wheeler accident lawyers hear the unique circumstances of your accident. Then, we can guide you through the best course of action to take when involved in Las Cruces 18 wheeler accidents.After an Accident: The Next Steps
After an under-ride or rear-end collision with an 18 wheeler in Las Cruces, there are a few steps you should take to ensure your safety and the best chance for your case:
- Check the scene: Accidents with big rigs do not only cause injury, but they can also lead to dangerous situations. If you are able, get yourself to safety away from the scene of the wreck because of the potential for hazardous leaking fluids or the possibility of collapse.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you have not sustained serious injuries, it is essential to get medical care as soon as possible. Your well-being is of the utmost importance. Additionally, your injuries become officially documented. Make sure your trucking accident lawyer in Las Cruces gets a copy of your medical records.
- Collect evidence: After Las Cruces 18 wheeler accidents, companies will tow their truck, making it nearly impossible to gather evidence after the fact. That’s why you should document the scene if you are able by taking pictures of the truck, your vehicle, and any injuries you’ve sustained. If you are unable to do this, the police report can be used instead. An attorney will help you build your case based on the evidence you have.
- Get the driver’s information:Like any other accident, you will want to exchange information with the driver, including getting information about the trucking company. Be sure when talking with the driver to never admit fault. Their lawyer will use this against you in court.
- Talk to the insurance company, but be careful:When you receive a call from the trucker’s insurance company, only give them factual information and don’t admit fault before discussing your case with Las Cruces truck accident lawyers.
- Speak with an attorney: Trucking accidents are always complicated. To ensure you get the most out of your case, talk to a lawyer who knows from experience how to win against 18 wheelers.
Although there have been efforts by organizations like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to increase 18 wheeler safety, most of these regulations are still in limbo, making accidents with 18 wheelers excessively perilous. If you are involved in a rear-end collision, which accounts for nearly 20% of all trucking accidents, or an under-ride, you are in more danger than you should be.
At Carabin Shaw we believe trucking companies should pay for the damage and pain they cause victims because they know the dangers their vehicles pose on the roads but refuse to improve their truck’s safety, leading to more Las Cruces 18 wheeler accidents than necessary. When looking online for semi truck accident lawyers near me, you are hoping to find someone who both cares and can win the compensation you deserve. Our Las Cruces truck accident lawyers meet these criteria and more. Speak with us today to see for yourself.
Call us at 915-779-2301 or toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.