What To Do After a Swimming Pool Injury or Drowning in Louisiana
In the lakes, rivers, waterparks, and pools of Louisiana, tragedies occur every summer in the form of drownings and swimming pool injuries. When most people think of swimming pool accidents, their fears automatically turn to drowning, but near-drownings and other swimming pool accidents can also have long-term, devastating consequences.
Some non-fatal swimming pool injuries include:
- Near-drownings (when the lack of oxygen to the brain does not result in fatality but can result in loss of motor abilities, cognitive functioning, and consciousness)
- Head trauma from unsafe diving boards or slippery pool decks
- Disfigurement from faulty pool drains and more
If you or a loved one have been a victim to any of these injuries, you may be unaware of your legal options. Many families are unsure what to do after a swimming pool injury or drowning in Louisiana, but with the help of a Louisiana accident attorney, you may receive full financial compensation for the injuries of you or your loved one.Steps to Take After a Swimming Pool Accident in Louisiana
- Receive emergency medical care immediately. Even if the accident victim doesn’t seem seriously harmed, it is important to be evaluated by a medical professional immediately. You will need this information for your records when filing an accident claim.
- Make a report with law enforcement. It is important that your accident claim is backed up with official documentation like a police report. You may think you will remember all the pertinent details of a tragic accident, but time and emotional strain can lead to an unclear picture of the events leading to the accident. A police report will help to finalize these details so that insurance companies cannot dispute the facts in settlement negotiations or court proceedings.
- It may be an emotionally trying time, but in the aftermath of the accident, refrain from admitting fault for the accident. Even if your apology is meant as a gesture of politeness, some insurance companies will use this against you as definitive proof that you were the one responsible for the accident, rendering you ineligible for financial compensation. The best advice is to not speak about the accident with anyone outside of your immediate family until you have been provided legal counsel.
- Finally, it is important that you seek the services of an experienced accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer will help you to navigate the complex legal waters of an accident claim and prevent you from making any mistakes that would lead to you not receiving adequate financial compensation for your injuries. Choose an accident attorney who has extensive knowledge of accident law and injury claims.
This page is a general guide to swimming pool accident law. As always, consult an experienced Louisiana swimming pool accident lawyer to fully evaluate your legal options.Attorney of Counsel of Carabin Shaw, Berit Hanna | Louisiana Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a swimming pool accident, contact Louisiana swimming pool accident lawyer and attorney of Counsel of Carabin Shaw, Berit Hanna. Call toll-free today at 1-800-555-0101 for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with this experienced accident attorney. If you are at risk of contracting COVID-19, don’t worry: Carabin Shaw and our associates now offer video conferencing options.
The law firm of Carabin Shaw and our attorneys of Counsel are able to offer the resources and expertise of a long-established firm with the personalized care of a community-based local firm. We have a long history of representing accident victims and their families with passion and individualized attention. Call us today to explore your legal options in seeking financial compensation for your injuries.