What to Do After Hurricane Damage in Goliad
Harvey is the worst major hurricane to breach the United States’ Gulf Coast since 1961, leaving a path of destruction that will cost Texas an estimated $180 billion in damages. Goliad, Texas, is one of the many cities who suffered severe damages from Hurricane Harvey, and the town of about 2,000 people will now have to work tirelessly to rebuild their homes and community.
Some residents may be unaware of what to do after a hurricane. A Goliad hurricane insurance claims lawyer from Carabin Shaw can help those who are asking what to do after hurricane damage in Goliad. The lawyers at Carabin Shaw in Goliad are ready to provide the answers for you, so you may begin the process of rebuilding your homes, communities, and lives.What to do After Hurricane Damage in Goliad
There are a couple of things you should consider before making a claim after experiencing Hurricane damage in Goliad.
- Wait to Return Home. In the aftermath of a hurricane, it may be extremely dangerous for you to return home. There can be debris and flooding that will leave the roads unable to drive, making it very unsafe for you to attempt to get back to your residence. Rescue teams may also be conducting searches that you may interfere with. Wait until officials can inform you that your neighborhood is safe to return to.
- Don’t wait to file a claim. While you may not be sure what you will file yet in your claim, it is of paramount importance to initiate the claims process. This can be as simple as declaring your intent to file with an insurance representative over the phone. You may also contact your agent to inform them that your house may have suffered damages, they can give you some valuable information on what to do when the time comes to file a claim.
- Document Your Evacuation Costs. You may be able to receive compensation for the expenses you have made while being evacuated. Any money you spend while evacuated should be documented. Making a log book of expenses made on food, gas, and lodging is a good way to keep track of the money you have spent while being away from your home. Keep the receipts to show your agent when it comes time to make a claim.
- Document Damages. Upon returning to your house, document the damage done to your property. The best way to do this is by taking pictures and keeping a written log of damages caused by the storm. You will be able to use these documents later on to show your insurance company.
- Fix Any Necessary Damages. Failure to prevent future damage to your property through inaction may jeopardize your claim. If there are broken windows or roofing, you can cover them with a tarp to ensure your house or car does not receive any more water damage.
- Check Your Insurance Policy. See what your Goliad insurance policy covers. If you are unable to find your policy, there are a number of sites that can help you get in contact with your insurance company.
- Document Everything When Contacting Your Insurer. Let your agent know about the damage done to your property and document the call. If possible, you should follow up with a written report. If the agent is being negligent and underestimating your claim, you can use the documented call for your case to receive more compensation.
- Call a Lawyer. In the event that your insurance agency is underestimating the cost of your damages, contact an attorney to help you create a case. An experienced attorney at Carabin Shaw will help you receive the compensation you deserve from the damages done to your property after the storm.
The lawyers at Carabin Shaw will help you through this difficult process of figuring out what to do after hurricane damage in Goliad.. We have attorneys with over 25 years of experience in dealing with insurance companies who underestimate their clients’ claims. We can ensure that you will receive that a fair estimate for your damages done to your property. Call us today and receive your free consultation at 1.800.682.1260.