What You Need to Know About Swimming Pool Accidents in Louisiana
It is common to relax at the pool on a hot and humid afternoon. Unfortunately, many types of accidents can easily occur around a pool. These accidents range from minor cuts to near drowning. From 2015 to 2017, 68 children died due to drowning in Louisiana. In those same years, the state also had the highest rate of drowning in the U.S. for children ages 1-14 years old.
Whether you or your child was injured in a swimming pool accident, we are here to help. The Attorney of Counsel, Berit Hanna, at Carabin Shaw wants to help you and your family find financial peace and justice after a swimming pool accident. We have a team of attorneys who will tell you what you need to know about swimming pool accidents in Louisiana.Louisiana Swimming Pool Standards
A pool owner has a duty of care they need to uphold. If a pool owner fails to provide this care, they can be found negligent. There are state laws and regulations for swimming pools and our Louisiana swimming pool accident lawyer will hold them accountable if they are in violation. Here are a few state standards that pool owners must follow:
- Swimming pools must have a barrier that is at least 4 feet tall
- There cannot be any foot holds on the exterior fence
- The gates must be self-closing.
- The latches must not be accessible to children who can't reach more than 3 and 3/4 feet high.
Additionally, the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act was enacted to prevent drain entrapment accidents at pools and spas. If a pool owner has a faulty or no drain cover, they are in direct violation of this federal standard.
If any of these violations sound familiar to your accident, call us to talk to a Louisiana pool injury attorney at your earliest convenience.Types of Swimming Pool Injuries
There are a number of common accidents that happen at swimming pools, whether it is due to negligence or a mechanical failure. Here are a few common injuries our Louisiana swimming pool accident lawyers have seen:
- Slip and fall accidents - These accidents are very common around swimming pools and range from causing minor cuts or bruises to broken bones. They are typically a result of poor pool maintenance.
- Blunt trauma to the head, neck, or spine - These injuries are very serious and even life-threatening. These accidents happen when a swimmer hits their head, neck, or spine on a hard surface. For example, if a pool is unlit or cloudy, swimmers can get easily hurt if they dive into the pool. They can also suffer from blunt trauma if they slip on a pool deck.
- Near-drowning accidents - When someone begins to drown, their lungs begin to fill with water and risk brain damage due to the lack of oxygen. Near-drowning accidents can result in permanent neurological disabilities, especially in children.
If your loved one wrongfully died in a swimming pool accident, our attorneys can help. We have helped many families with their personal injury and wrongful death cases.Damages for a Swimming Pool Accident
No amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one or a drastically altered quality of life, but receiving fair compensation can minimize your financial stress that comes with medical bills and lost wages.
You may receive both economic and non-economic damages for your swimming pool accident injuries such as:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of quality of life
If you lost your loved one due to a wrongful death, you may receive damages that cover your funeral expenses, loss of consortium, and loss of financial security. Our lawyers won’t be satisfied until you receive all of your deserved compensation.Need a Lawyer for Your Swimming Pool Accident? Call Carabin Shaw
We have decades of experience fighting on the behalf of swimming pool accident victims. The Attorney of Counsel of Carabin Shaw, Berit Hanna, is here to help you or your loved one in Louisiana.
Call Carabin Shaw at 1-800-555-0101 to talk about your swimming pool accident with a Louisiana pool injury attorney. We offer a free initial consultation.