Wrongful Death Defined and Types of Wrongful Death Cases
Wrongful death cases can be hard to deal with alone. Not only are they painful, but they are legally complicated and require the expertise of Louisiana injury lawyers to get just compensation for the loss of your loved one.
If your family is pursuing a wrongful death claim in Louisiana, you will want an attorney with experience to represent you. Our team at Carabin Shaw knows what it takes to win a wrongful death case. Attorney of Counsel of Carabin Shaw Berit Hanna is a lawyer based in Louisiana with years of experience working wrongful death cases and helping families recover the money they’re rightfully owed.
No amount of money can replace the loss of your loved one, but winning compensation can help your family cope with the bills and aftermath that come with such a loss in Louisiana. To understand your case, it’s important to know wrongful death defined and types of wrongful death cases.What is Considered “Wrongful Death”?
When someone dies because of the legal fault of another person, whether due to intent or negligence, a wrongful death case can be made in Louisiana. The decedent's beneficiaries and/or heirs are able to file a wrongful death claim against the responsible party on the deceased’s behalf.
Wrongful death laws are relatively new, originally created in the 20th century to deter negligent behaviors that would cause injuries as well as to financially help orphans and widows after the loss of a loved one. It’s important to note that wrongful death claims are not criminal charges, so someone found to be responsible for a wrongful death in a wrongful death claim may not necessarily be found guilty in a criminal case, which is due to different standards of proof. To learn more, talk with an experienced attorney.Different Types of Wrongful Death Cases
There are a number of different types of wrongful death cases. Below are some of the most common examples:
- Premises liability accidents
- When someone dies on someone else’s property, it can fall under the category of premises liability in Louisiana. Premises liability accidents include swimming pool accidents, slips and falls, fires and explosions, dog bites, and more. Generally, property owners owe a duty of care to others on their property, meaning they have a responsibility to keep people safe from harm. Speak with a lawyer to learn more.
- Car accidents
- Car accidents or accidents with commercial vehicles can be fatal. The negligent party responsible in these cases can be sued for wrongful death.
- Medical malpractice
- When a doctor’s negligence leads to someone’s death, they can be held legally responsible in a medical malpractice wrongful death case. Louisiana injury lawyers can help.
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Deaths to pedestrians and cyclists usually happen when they are struck by a vehicle. The driver of this vehicle can be sued.
- Workplace accidents
- Most accidents at the workplace come with a worker’s compensation claim. If that accident leads to an employee’s death, it can also result in a wrongful death claim.
- Boating accidents
- Boating accidents that lead to a fatal injury can be the grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit. Boat operators can be responsible for deaths if they don’t provide proper safety equipment like life preservers.
If you have any questions, look to an experienced attorney for help.Who Will Stand By Your Side? Berit Hanna, Trusted Louisiana Attorney
Pursuing a wrongful death claim in Louisiana on your own with no legal experience can be overwhelming. To make the most of your case, you’ll want Carabin Shaw on your side. Attorney of Counsel of Carabin Shaw Berit Hanna is an experienced legal expert who will fight for you and your family to get justice for the loss of your loved one.
Winning a wrongful death claim is not always easy, but with the right lawyer on your side, you can get proper compensation. Call today for a free consultation at 1-800-555-0101.