18 Wheeler Settlement Amounts | Accident Calculator
Accidents involving an 18 wheeler can be fatal or lead to severe injury. According to the Department of Transportation (DOT), 72% of fatalities in large trucking accidents were passengers in smaller vehicles. Furthermore, 82% of fatal crashes involved more than one single-passenger car. Wrecks that do not end in fatalities can still decrease one’s quality of life in a significant way. People in San Antonio who have suffered due to a semi-truck accident deserve financial compensation. 18 Wheeler settlement amounts are determined by the severity of your injuries and by the negligence of the other driver. If you are interested in filing a lawsuit, consider working with an experienced attorney at Carabin Shaw.Determining Fault
Under Texas law, you cannot recover any damages if you are found to be more than 51% liable for the accident. San Antonio accident lawyers, along with insurance agents, work together to determine liability. Investigators look at police reports, witness testimonies, and traffic laws to assign fault. You will be much more likely to collect damages if you are not guilty of negligence. Working with an attorney will improve your chances of receiving a settlement.What Are Damages?
San Antonio trucking injury lawyers investigate the following to determine the amount of financial compensation you are eligible to receive:
- Physical Injuries and Medical Expenses: The type and severity of your injury can play into how much monetary compensation you may receive. It is imperative to obtain a medical opinion. Furthermore, it is worth holding onto any medical bills, diagnosis, and treatments you receive. It is integral to prove that the accident is the cause of your injuries.
- Lost Wages: You may be entitled to compensation if your injuries caused you to miss work or lose your job altogether.
- Lost Earning Potential: Additionally, if your injuries caused a disability, thereby limiting your ability to perform specific tasks, you may be able to receive financial compensation.
- Pain and Suffering (emotional): Being involved in an accident does more than just physical trauma. It is important to note that in Texas, there is a cap of $250,000 on non-economic damages.
- Loss of Consortium (Loss of Companionship): If a loved one died in an accident, then you may be able to recover damages.
An 18 wheeler accident lawyer may help determine your total amount of potential damages.Common Physical Injuries
Unfortunately, being in a crash can dramatically alter one’s quality of life. Injured San Antonio drivers should visit a medical expert after the collision. Sustaining any injury can lead to further health complications. The following are the most common types of injuries from large trucking accidents:
- Back and Neck injuries
- Head injuries
- Seat Belt Injuries
- Spinal Cord and Paralysis
- Wrongful Death
Consider speaking with local San Antonio trucking injury lawyers if you have suffered due to your involvement in an accident -- even if you’re unsure of your potential damages.Earning a Settlement
In some instances, a settlement may occur instead of going to trial, and is usually a one-time payment. Compensation determined by a court is generally doled out in increments over a certain period. The agreement involves a lot of negotiation and therefore, a lawyer is typically necessary for this process. 18 Wheeler settlement amounts are influenced by liability and severity of the crash, and semi-truck accident settlements are typically higher than settlements for single passenger car wrecks due to their severity. Consider working with a specialized 18 Wheeler accident lawyer.What To Do After An Accident
The San Antonio accident lawyers at the offices of Carabin Shaw want to help you receive your rightful compensation. Working with a focused, specialized lawyer increases your chances of getting the settlement you want and deserve. Our San Antonio trucking injury lawyers are eager to work with you. If you want justice for your injuries, then speak to us today at 210-222-2288 or toll-free at 800-862-1260.