5 Things You Should Know About Hurricane Insurance Claims in Beeville
With the massive damage from Hurricane Harvey affecting and devastating the coastal bend of Texas, the amount of those making insurance claims in Beeville are at an all-time high. Recovering from a natural disaster and beginning an insurance claim can often be a long road to both physical and financial recovery. When natural disasters occur, it is often hard to comprehend how to put one foot in front of the other, and missing certain steps can greatly affect your chance of receiving compensation for your damaged Beeville home or business.
The benefits of having a lawyer or attorney on hand to help you through this trying time are not to be underestimated when pursuing your Beeville insurance claim. Before you begin the insurance claims process, there are five things you should know about hurricane insurance claims in Beeville.
- Know your insurance policy: Because flooding isn’t as common in Beeville as it might be in other parts of the nation, many residents may be unaware that their homeowners insurance policy does not in fact cover flooding. Sometimes, when water comes in through windows or doors, water damage is covered; however, water flooding into your home from the ground up, such as the flooding seen during the hurricane, is considered differently and likely not included in your policy. A lawyer can come in handy in the event that you fall under this particular circumstance. You should still check with your insurance company to see if the damages that affected your home will or will not be covered. Knowing what the insurance is going to cover is crucial in determining what your next move will be.
- Hurricane damage comes with a higher deductible: Most people are unaware that most insurance companies have a special “hurricane deductible,” which must be paid instead of the regular deductible before the policy coverage begins. In most cases, the hurricane deductible is 2-5% of your home’s insured value, which must be paid before your coverage for the damage kicks in. This is important to look into before making your Beeville claim. Insurance companies often use this as a roadblock to get you from receiving the compensation you deserve, hoping you’ll think twice before initiating the claim. Research your policy before making a claim, and know that contacting Beeville hurricane insurance claims lawyers can open up deductible options that may help to ease this process.
- You may qualify for additional assistance: In the aftermath of a hurricane, doing whatever is possible to help aide expenses for the time being is often necessary. Explore the resources of the Texas Hurricane Center to help you determine what assistance in or near Beeville is available and whether you qualify, as well as FEMA assistance if you are uninsured at the time of the hurricane. FEMA also has disaster recovery centers that offer information assistance in the event that you do not have access to the internet.
- File your claim immediately, and keep records: Filing an insurance claim as soon as possible after a hurricane is a crucial first step in the right direction, as most insurance companies will work on a first-come-first-serve basis. This is one of the most important tips in the five things you should know about hurricane insurance claims in Beeville. Also, be sure to take photos and videos of all damage within your home or business before making any sort of repairs. Insurance companies will ask for proof of all damage, whether it is major or minor, and will likely seize the opportunity to dispute you on any records you don’t keep. This also applies to any receipts you may collect if you are staying in a hotel because your home is temporarily uninhabitable. These receipts will also be useful to your lawyers when they take on your case, and they will use them in fight to make sure the insurance companies are getting you what you deserve.
- Consider the services of a lawyer: Unfortunately, as you get further into your claim, you will begin to realize that most insurance companies will try as hard as possible to not pay you the full compensation for damages and losses sustained during the hurricane. Having a lawyer representing your claim when the insurance companies confront you with these issues will greatly improve your odds of success, as well as eliminate the stress and time it will take you to solve these issues on your own. They can help you to build a strong case that can withstand anything the insurance companies may throw your way.
It’s important to consider these five things you should know about hurricane claims in Beeville as you begin to rebuild your life after hurricane damage. If you are having any trouble with your Beeville hurricane claims, the team of experienced lawyers at Carabin & Shaw has years of experience in insurance claims and will make sure the insurance companies are held accountable and that you can begin rebuilding as soon as possible. For a free consultation, contact our Beeville law office at 361.358.6300, or call us toll-free at 800-862-1260.