5 Things You Should Know About Hurricane Insurance Claims in Port Aransas
Shortly after 10 p.m. on Friday, August 25, 2017, Hurricane Harvey made landfall on the quaint beach town of Port Aransas, Texas. Classified as a Category 4 hurricane, Harvey was as one of the most powerful hurricanes to hit Texas within the last 50 years. With winds making landfall at 135 miles per hour, the chances of buildings withstanding the storm become slim. The catastrophe resulted in devastation to more than 85% of Port Aransas, leaving homes and businesses in shambles and residents stripped of their possessions.
Knowing how to navigate after a tragedy such as a massive hurricane can be overwhelming, but contacting a lawyer with years of experience can help ease you into the process. An expert Port Aransas hurricane insurance claims lawyer defending you can make sure you get the compensation you deserve, so you can begin to get back to building and living your normal life.5 Things You Should Know About Hurricane Insurance Claims in Port Aransas
- Call your insurance ASAP: In times of tragedy and loss, it’s not always easy to process what the most important step is to take first and how to navigate it. If your Port Aransas home is flooded or destroyed, it is important to get a jump-start on filing an insurance claim. When mass amounts of people are affected by a natural disaster such as a hurricane, insurance companies often begin working claims in a first-come-first-serve process. The sooner you call to report your damages and losses, the quicker the insurance company can get to your claim
- Apply for disaster relief benefits: When Hurricane Harvey struck Port Aransas, the fact that only two of every ten homeowners had flood insurance came to light. In this case, residents without flood insurance may possibly apply for federal disaster relief benefits. However, those often come in the form of low interest loans – which can be a burden on those already with debt. If you are debt-free but don’t have flood insurance, applying for disaster relief benefits can help you until you get back on track.
- Document all losses: Documenting your losses is a crucial step in filing a hurricane insurance claim. This is one of the important of the five things you should know about hurricane claims in Port Aransas. Take as many photos and videos of your property and the damage as possible to present to your insurance company. It’s good to have before pictures on hand as well. If your Port Aransas home became uninhabitable during the hurricane and you had to make reservations in a hotel or make any recovery-related expenditures, be sure to keep those receipts as well, they might be eligible for reimbursement. An attorney can assist you with important action items like these and know exactly what insurance companies will be looking for as you file your claim.
- Pay attention to your deductible: You are probably familiar with the deductible of your current insurance policy, but what you probably don’t know is that coastal cities and states often have their own “hurricane deductible” This deductible often ranges from 1-5% of the insured value of the home. It is important to take this into consideration as you file your claim.
- Hire a lawyer: You should hire a lawyer to help you manage your insurance claims as soon as possible. Your home or business is important, and you deserve to be put in the best possible hands. Your lawyer will help you to present your claim in a way that is favorable and can help influence the insurance to fully reimburse you for your losses. Saying or doing the wrong thing can put those opportunities in jeopardy. The experienced and professional attorneys at Carabin & Shaw are familiar with Port Aransas insurance claims and can help you to get back what was yours.
These five things you should know about hurricane claims in Port Aransas can drastically help you as you begin to build and present your claim. A lawyer with Carabin & Shaw is always ready to take your call and the first consultation is free of charge. For help with Port Aransas hurricane claims, contact the law firm of Carabin & Shaw at 361.717.4411 or call toll-free at 800-862-1260 today.