7 Facts About Texas Personal Injury Claims You Should Know
Every day in San Antonio, people are injured because of someone else’s negligence. Whether it’s a car accident, workplace accident, slip and fall, or something else, you deserve compensation.
At Carabin Shaw, we fight for victims every day who have suffered at the negligent hands of another. Our accident attorneys San Antonio Texas never represent large corporations; we only serve people with real problems that need justice. There’s a lot that goes into a personal injury claim, but the following 7 facts about Texas personal injury claims you should know are a great place to start understanding what it will take to win the compensation you deserve.Important Personal Injury Facts
Our personal injury law firm San Antonio has worked countless cases. From that experience, we’ve learned the following facts are the most useful for clients getting started with their personal injury claim:
- Personal injury is so much more than car accidents - The first thing that comes to mind when people mention personal injury in San Antonio is car accidents, but personal injury cases actually involve any situation where one party’s negligence causes another person harm. Aside from car and truck accidents, personal injury cases include slip and falls, medical malpractice, oil field accidents, product liability, accidental drownings, wrongful death, and much more. If you want to know whether your case qualifies as personal injury, speak with an experienced personal injury attorney San Antonio.
- Insurance companies never have your best interest in mind - Every lawyer will advise you to be wary when talking to insurers because insurance companies are like any business—they are driven by profit. The less money they dole out per claim, the more money they are able to pocket for themselves. Their goal is to give you the least that they can, no matter what. To fight them, it’s best to work with knowledgeable and experienced accident attorneys San Antonio Texas.
- Most cases will settle out of court - More than 95% of cases settle outside of court. Often, people accept what the insurance company offers, which rarely amounts to what you are actually owed. Getting a fair settlement usually requires the assistance of a lawyer who has experience dealing with insurers and accurately estimating the value of a claim.
- A doctor’s visit helps your case - Going to the doctor as soon after your accident as possible is vital for the success of your case. It documents your injuries in your medical record, which will be crucial evidence for winning damages in your suit.
- You may need to collect evidence - Your doctor’s visit and the police report will be useful for your attorney, but (if you are able) collecting your own evidence of the accident such as witness testimonials and photographs of the accident scene can go a long way. Talk to your attorney to learn more.
- There’s a time limit on filing - In Texas, the window to file is two years from the date of your accident, which is known as the “statute of limitations.” If you don’t file within that time frame, you may not be able to pursue your case. Under specific circumstances, there are exceptions. A personal injury attorney San Antonio can tell you more.
- There’s typically no upfront fee - Many law firms do not require an upfront fee to work on your case, including our law firm. Instead, they work on a contingency fee, meaning they get paid only if they win by taking a percentage. Whenever you are considering working with a lawyer, be sure to ask them about payment.
These 7 facts about Texas personal injury claims you show know are important. The most important fact of all, though, is that working with a personal injury law firm San Antonio is your best bet to earning maximum compensation. We want to win all that we can for every client that works with Carabin Shaw. If you need an attorney, call us today at (210) 222-2288.