After a Public Swimming Pool Accident in Houston
When you think of a Houston swimming pool, you usually think of fun summer days relaxing with friends and family. Sadly, for many people, swimming pools can instantly turn from a scene of joy into the scene of a tragedy. For children between the ages of 1 and 4, for example, unintentional drowning is the number one cause of death, according to the CDC.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Houston swimming pool accident, you need to speak with someone who can help you. The pool injury lawyers in Houston at Carabin Shaw believe in first listening to our clients to hear the unique circumstances of their case, then building an individualized plan to get them the compensation they deserve.Steps to Take After an Accident
What you do after a public swimming pool accident in Houston is important. Below are the steps we recommend you take to maximize your potential of compensation:
- Call the police - The first thing you should always do after any type of accident is call the police. They’ll document the facts of the accident in their police report, which will be an important piece of evidence later.
- Seek medical attention- Your well-being is always the first priority. Visiting the doctor will put you on the fastest road to recovery, and it will ensure your injuries are officially documented by a medical professional.
- Document evidence - In addition to the police report and your medical records, you’ll want to document your own evidence. If you’re able, take pictures of the scene of the accident and get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Don’t talk to insurers - Insurers may seem like they have your best interest in mind, but they don’t. Avoid talking to them until you’ve received legal counsel. If you have to talk to them, stick to the facts and never admit fault.
- Contact a law firm - The most important step is to contact a law firm. Someone with legal experience can help you get the compensation you deserve.
When you’re involved in a Houston swimming pool accident, you are entitled to compensation. In legal terms, compensation is referred to as “damages” and is divided into two different categories: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are damages that have a tangible value, like medical bills or property damage. Non-economic damages are damages that don’t have a tangible value, such as pain and suffering. Below are the types of economic and non-economic damages you may be awarded in your case:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Funerary costs
In rare cases, there are also punitive damages, which are damages meant to serve as punishment that the court awards in cases of extreme negligence. To know what damages may apply to your case, talk to an attorney.Statute of Limitations
If you’re filing a lawsuit to win damages after a swimming pool accident, you’ll need to file within the legal timeframe. Every state has a different statute of limitations for these types of cases, which refers to the window of time that you’re required to file within to be legally eligible to earn compensation in your case. In Texas, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim.
If you file beyond this two year period, you may not be able to pursue your case. However, there are some rare exceptions to this rule. To learn more about the statute of limitations and how it applies to your case, talk to a pool injury lawyer in Houston.Getting What You Deserve: Free Initial Consultation
A Houston swimming pool accident can be a life-changing experience. You deserve justice after such a tragedy. Working with a seasoned lawyer can make all the difference in getting the compensation you’re rightfully owed. Call us today for a free case review at 1-800-862-1260.