After Suspected Daycare Sexual Abuse in Houston
How many Texas children will experience sexual abuse this year at the hands of their daycare teachers, babysitters, baseball coaches, youth group pastors, Boy Scout leaders, or other childcare professionals? How many families will be left dealing with the heartbreaking emotional, psychological, and financial scars left after suspected daycare sexual abuse?
Unfortunately, the statistics regarding the sexual abuse of children in the state of Texas reveal an alarming rate of sexual trauma. The Children’s Advocacy Centers of Texas estimate that 1 in 10 children will experience sexual abuse and 26% of their abusers will be adult non-relatives. “Adult non-relatives” can include many of the trusted adults children interact with every day: daycare teachers, workers, and staff.
If your child exhibits abrupt changes in behavior, you may suspect that they have suffered sexual abuse. If you suspect that your child’s sexual abuse was committed at the hands of a daycare worker, what should you do?I Suspect My Child Has Suffered Sexual Abuse at Daycare: What Should I Do?
Parents and guardians likely have a multitude of questions regarding their legal options following the sexual abuse of their child. While the following guide may be helpful in navigating the immediate aftermath of daycare sexual abuse, it is important to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer serving Texas before taking legal action.
1. Remove your child from their daycare or other childcare program. First and foremost, you must remove your child from any environment that poses a danger for them.
2. Ensure that your child has a safe, supportive environment to share the details of their trauma. Let them know that you will take their suffering seriously.
3. Enlist the help of a qualified medical professional. It is important for your child to undergo physical examination to establish the full extent of their physical injury. Children who have suffered sexual trauma may experience genital bruising/bleeding or sexually transmitted diseases.
4. Seek psychological care for your child (and yourself). While some children will experience physical injury, by far the most serious damages caused by daycare sexual abuse are emotional and psychological trauma. With the help of a qualified child psychologist, your child can begin the difficult journey of healing from their trauma.
Additionally, many parents and guardians may benefit from seeking individual or family counseling to give them the tools to heal from their own trauma and support their child during this difficult time.
5. Contact an experienced Texas daycare abuse attorney. The molestation of a minor is a felony crime and should be treated as such. By suing your child’s abusive daycare teacher and/or other daycare staff, you can seek criminal conviction or a fair financial settlement to cover the full cost of your family’s emotional, physical, and financial damages.
While you may choose to represent your child yourself, the reality is that, without the practical experience and intricate legal knowledge of a child injury attorney, you are unlikely to win the justice your child deserves.Contact the Texas Child Injury Lawyers at Carabin Shaw
For parents and guardians seeking representation for their daycare sexual abuse injury lawsuit, the most important thing to remember is that your choice of attorney may determine the outcome of your claim. For that reason, it is crucial to find a child injury lawyer with the relevant practice areas, prior experience, and open availability to best represent your child’s interests.
If you are searching for an attorney to represent your daycare abuse claim, the team of Carabin Shaw can help. For nearly thirty years, we have helped victims of sexual abuse win the justice they deserve. We would be honored to represent you and your family. To schedule your no-cost, no obligation consultation with a Texas child injury lawyer at Carabin Shaw, call our 24/7 English and Spanish-speaking staff toll-free today at 800-862-1260.