Average Settlement for Commercial Vehicle Accident
In central Texas, I-35 runs through San Antonio, one of the fastest growing cities in Texas. As San Antonio’s population density increases, the density of its traffic and the transport of goods on its roadways increases, too. This traffic is typically laden with large, dangerous commercial trucks. If you were in an accident with a semi-truck, the knowledgeable San Antonio 18 wheeler accident lawyers at Carabin Shaw will help you sort through your case and discuss the average settlement for those involved in a commercial vehicle accident.Accident With a Commercial Vehicle: What You Need to Know
Commercial trucks are much wider, taller, and heavier than most vehicles, and their presence on roadways may threaten the safety of other drivers. In fact, large trucks account for 12 percent of all traffic deaths across the United States each year. Given that the average sedan is one-fifth the weight of a standard commercial truck, this data is especially frightening.
Some of the most common causes of an accident with a commercial vehicle in San Antonio include:
- Mechanical failure
- Smartphone distraction
- Drunk/drugged driving
- Driver fatigue
- Lack of proper training
- Lack of proper background checks or poor hiring practices
Even before you enlist the services of an attorney to assist you with a commercial vehicle settlement, self-education will help you determine who, if anyone, is at fault and what reparations guilty parties may owe you. If you suspect any of these causes were a factor in your accident, you may have grounds for a personal injury suit.Commercial Vehicle Collision Settlements
Commercial trucking accidents happen. But when they happen to you, how do you determine the worth of your settlement? The truth is that the average settlement for those involved in a commercial vehicle accident can vary dramatically depending upon a number of variables, including:
- Incidental culpability
- One of the most important factors that determine settlement value in a commercial vehicle collision is culpability, which changes based on circumstances. If, for example, the truck driver was driving carelessly or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the driver will likely assume a larger portion of culpability than an accident caused by wet or icy roads.
- Cost of medical expenses/bills
- In the wake of a commercial trucking accident, you may be able to seek reparations for the reasonable and necessary expenses associated with rehabilitation. This can include medication costs, hospital bills, and the cost of surgery and other treatment options.
- Loss of wages
- When you are injured in a trucking accident, you may have to take time off from work to rehabilitate and heal. This time away from your job can affect your ability to earn not only current wages but also future wages as you rebuild your life after the accident.
- Vehicle repair expenses
- One of the most obvious forms of compensation after an accident is vehicular repairs. However, a surprising number of drivers on Texas roads are uninsured, which can make it difficult to settle the incident efficiently without the help of a lawyer.
- Amount of gathered evidence
- To ensure successful claims in the above categories, you should document everything. This includes taking pictures of the accident, exchanging information, saving receipts from repairs and other estimates of damage. These will make your attorney’s job easier and help corroborate your side of the story.
It is also important to remember that the statute of limitations for filing a commercial vehicle accident settlement in Texas is two years after the date of the accident. Don’t hesitate; act now. The quicker you receive legal guidance, the better your chances of attaining full compensation for your injuries.Carabin Shaw San Antonio Lawyers Want to Hear Your Story
A commercial truck accident lawsuit can complicate the aftermath of an already confusing time as you begin regaining your life after an accident. For more information about the average settlement for commercial vehicle accidents, and how to fight for your right to maximum compensation, contact a Carabin Shaw San Antonio trucking accident attorney today.
To schedule a free consultation with a Carabin Shaw lawyer, call our San Antonio office at 210-222-2288. You can also reach our team anytime toll-free at 800-862-1260.