A large number of San Antonio residents enjoy heading to areas lakes for recreation. Many times these getaways involve some form of watercraft. Unfortunately, operators of boats, jet skis, and other watercraft fail to give consideration to the potential risks posed by their activity. Most maritime accidents occur on the part of the operator because of negligence or lack of attention to the duty owed to operate their watercraft in a safe manner.
Even a momentary lapse of judgment or attention can result in serious personal injuries or death. Regardless of the type of boating accident one has suffered, an experienced attorney can help recover medical expenses, mental anguish, pain and suffering, lost wages and physical impairment.
In the event of wrongful death due to a boating accident, the family of the victim can file a wrongful death suit against the owners or operators of the watercraft. Boating accidents can devastate victims financially, causing difficulties due to expensive medical treatment and loss of income.
There are a number of instances where an injury from a boating accident may be underestimated, and the boating accident injury results in ongoing pain, additional injuries, and financial burdens. An experienced injury lawyer can seek damages appropriate to the injuries sustained and make sure a settlement isn’t reached too quickly.
Injury claims involving water accidents can involve complex legal and technical issues, as well. The following is a list of a few questions an attorney might ask when evaluating such a claim:
- Was the activity properly supervised?
- Were the operators properly trained?
- Was the activity private in nature or was it business related?
- Was the activity part of a commercial rental business?
- What was the specific activity being performed?
- When and where was it being performed?
- Was it age appropriate for the person involved?
- Were operators trained in lifesaving techniques, such as CPR?
- Was safety equipment available?
- How long did the injured party wait before pursuing their claim?
- Are there any peculiar legal requirements for the jurisdiction of the accident?
- Were there any witnesses to the accident, or were any photographs or videos taken?
- Did government authorities investigate the accident?
- Was there an ability to immediately notify medical personnel in the event of injury?
- Was the equipment in disrepair, improperly maintained, or otherwise unsafe or defective?
- Was the equipment subject to any recalls?
- Did the injured participant sign a waiver or release of liability before engaging in the activity?
Like auto collisions, the aftermath of a boating accident is often an overwhelming time. Even so insurance company representing the owner of the watercraft won’t wait to investigate the circumstances of the incident. Their claims representatives will want to speak with all of the parties involved and make an effort to secure statements from everyone. They may even try to settle quickly with you and ask you to sign a release that could jeopardize the amount of money to which you’re entitled to recover.
Before you speak with representatives from the other party’s insurance company, call the lawyers at Carabin & Shaw in San Antonio first.
The insurance company has lawyers helping them evaluate their case. You too should have an attorney who will protect your rights and ensure you receive the full compensation to which you’re entitled. Call Carabin & Shaw; one of our San Antonio boating accident lawyers is ready to work with you.
If you live in San Antonio and have been injured in a boating accident, we’re here to help. At Carabin & Shaw, the initial consultations are always free, and we never collect a fee unless we win your case. We have the resources and experience in San Antonio to address all aspects of your claim, so you have the best chance of recovering what you’re owed.
Call us today toll-free at 1.800.862.1260.