Causes of Swimming Pool Accidents in Houston
In Houston, swimming pools are a relaxing way to enjoy the summer with friends and family. There’s no better way to beat the heat. However, if proper safety precautions are not followed, a swimming pool could be the source of serious injury or death. If you or a loved one was involved in a swimming pool accident, a Houston personal injury attorney could help you through this difficult time. Knowing the proper steps to take when filing and building your case can be daunting for someone with no legal experience, which is why it’s important to consult an accident lawyer in Houston to go over your options.
Our staff at Carabin Shaw deeply cares about doing what’s best for our clients, which is why we’ve been named a Top 10 firm in customer satisfaction. We know the causes of swimming pool accidents in Houston and how to win for all types of swimming pool accident cases.Causes of Swimming Pool Accidents
Swimming pool accidents are tragic, and in most cases, they could have been prevented. Below are some of the most common causes of swimming pool accidents in Houston:
1. Lack of Supervision - When children are around a pool, it’s important to keep an eye on them at all times. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that drowning can occur in as little time as five minutes when a child is unsupervised. Talk to a Houston swimming pool accident lawyer if lack of supervision relates to your case.
2. Defective Equipment - Pools require routine inspections to ensure the safety of all swimmers. A cracked diving board can cause serious injury or death, and a broken ladder may prevent a struggling swimmer from being able to exit the pool in case of emergency. Every aspect of a pool needs to be in proper working order to protect the safety of all swimmers. To learn more about defective equipment and swimming pool accidents, speak with an attorney.
3. Alcohol Use - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 70% of adult and adolescent deaths related to water recreation involve alcohol. Alcohol impairs your judgment and affects your balance and coordination, all of which increases the risk of serious injury or death when around water. If alcohol caused your pool accident, consult a Houston personal injury attorney to understand your options.Determining Liability
To be compensated for your injuries, you need to be able to name the defendant and prove they breached their duty of care. Knowing who to hold liable in a Houston swimming pool accident depends on a few factors:
- The pool owner - The first step is determining who owns the pool, who you will then name as the defendant. If your injury occurred in a public pool, this step could be more complicated than you think, which is why it’s best to work with a lawyer.
- Duty of care - To win your case, you need to prove the defendant’s negligence. You can prove negligence by showing the defendant had a duty of care to the injured party, and they breached that duty of care.
- Pool safety requirements - There are specific Texas laws that establish minimum safety requirements. If you can prove that the owner failed to meet these requirements, you can make your case. An experienced Houston swimming pool accident lawyer can tell you more.
Swimming pool accident cases can be complicated, but at Carabin Shaw, our decades of experience with cases just like yours means we can help you. Every Houston personal injury attorney at our firm knows what it takes to win, and a lawyer is your best chance of getting proper justice. If you or a loved one has been involved in a swimming pool accident, you need an accident lawyer in Houston on your side. We offer free consultations, so call to speak with an attorney at our firm today.