Causes of Swimming Pool Accidents in Houston
Swimming pool accidents in Houston happen all too often. Sadly, many of these accidents could have been prevented had the proper safety precautions been followed. If you or a loved one was injured in a Houston swimming pool accident, you need someone on your side who can fight to get you justice.
Our personal injury lawyers in Houston at Carabin Shaw have decades of experience working with victims to get them the compensation they deserve after a tragedy such as a swimming pool accident. Your life should not be made more difficult as the result of someone else’s negligence. Compensation cannot make up for the damage that has been done, but it can ease the burden through these difficult times.The Common Ways Pool Accidents Happen
Pool accidents in Houston can occur for a variety of reasons. The following are common causes of swimming pool accidents in Houston:
- Negligent supervision - One of the most common reasons that swimming pool accidents occur is negligent supervision. Young swimmers, especially children, need to be watched at all times. Drownings happen fast and quietly, and inattention can lead to disaster. In a public pool, lifeguards should be on duty during pool use, and they should be properly trained. If not, it could lead to serious accidents. Talk to a lawyer to learn more.
- Overcrowding - Overcrowding can make it hard for lifeguards or other responsible parties to ensure that all swimmers are safe. When too many swimmers are in the pool, it can be difficult to identify victims of drowning and rescue them effectively. In public pools, there should be pool occupancy limits.
- Drain entrapment - One of the most dangerous parts of a pool is its drainage system. The powerful suction of a drain can entrap young swimmers and cause them serious injuries or death. A swimmer’s hair, jewelry, bathing suit, or limbs can be caught in a drain, which can hold a lightweight swimmer underwater and put them at risk of drowning.
- Water clarity - When pools aren’t maintained or properly treated, the water can become murky. If someone is drowning in a dirty pool, it may be hard to see the victim until it’s too late.
- Improper barriers - Many states require fences or other types of barriers around private pools to prevent young children from falling in when no one is around. If proper preventative measures aren’t taken, homeowners could be liable for damages under the “attractive nuisance doctrine.”
- Failing equipment - Sometimes, failing parts can lead to pool accidents. When breaking parts cause an accident, the parts manufacturer can be held liable. A diving board that breaks because the manufacturer used a cheap material, for example, could mean the manufacturer is responsible for your damages. If you think this applies to your case, talk to a personal injury lawyer in Houston.
- Uneven or slippery surfaces - Accidents don’t always happen in the pool. Sometimes, they happen around it. Slippery or uneven surfaces can cause slip and fall accidents, which can result in broken arms, legs, back injuries, head injuries, and more. A pool owner is required to keep the area around a pool safe. If they don’t, they may have to pay for injuries and damages that happen on their property.
When Houston swimming pool accidents occur, they can be traumatizing. Whatever the cause of your accident, you deserve compensation. You may be able to settle your case with insurers, but often you’ll end up getting less than you’re rightfully owed. To get proper justice, you need an attorney on your side who can fight for you.
Carabin Shaw attorneys have been serving victims of personal injury cases for nearly thirty years, and we always vow to put our clients’ needs first. If you want the best representation, call us today for a free case review at 1-800-862-1260.